☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

I dont know how you are doing this on the road... But I'm sure it is a adventure...I cant wait to see this finished Luke... :D
Keep safe...

Glen said:
Happy travels mate... drive safe :D
Thanks Glen!

JoKeR63 said:
LukeTheJoker said:
Hey that is cool J63! One of yours? I must have missed it in my many hours cruising through the archives of this site... Got a link?

Luke.
Last years RRBO, Sidehacked! It's mine.
Yea, when you think you've got an original idea, and something just makes sense, the internet comes along and shows that somebody else had the same thought before you. This can happen with just about anything. :)
I was kinda' hoping you HAD copied it, I guess great minds think alike. :mrgreen:

A few months ago I built a set of audiophile grade speakers that I designed myself. With my continuing research I found at least 2 other speakers with the same basic design, one was from the '70's from an obscure company I've never heard of.
:lol: Have had that happen a few times on this site, there is no such thing as a new idea! Have yet to see anyone do the single sided hubs the way I have on FatBob though...
Just been checking out Sidehacked, beautiful build! Are you still using with your little girl on board?

Funkme said:
I dont know how you are doing this on the road... But I'm sure it is a adventure...I cant wait to see this finished Luke... :D
Keep safe...
Big adventure! Wont be long now till it is finished, really happy with how it is coming out and the fact that it is rideable! :mrgreen:

Be back on line in a few days unless we get some signal on the way that is...

Luke.

late on the scene....

what have i missed!!! that looks like a beast will be keeping tabs on this one, nicely done mate

:lol: Have had that happen a few times on this site, there is no such thing as a new idea! Have yet to see anyone do the single sided hubs the way I have on FatBob though...
Just been checking out Sidehacked, beautiful build! Are you still using with your little girl on board?

Yep. And just added a Grandson last Sunday, Sidehacked! will be in use for a while. Plus the sidecar is easily separated, makes for a nice, heavy chopper.

Have a safe trek home buddy!

Can you post a pic of the tow vehicle and trailer loaded up with the bike and all ?

I think it'd make for a perfect highlight photo :wink:

:mrgreen:

Thanks for dropping in everybody! :D

Just a quick update as we have just arrived in Atherton, North Queensland and we are quite tired!

Good trip, but very long, the camping set up worked very well except for the last night where the temperature dropped well below freezing, which we were not prepared for so we had a rather cold night...

We have now travelled 11,000km (nearly 7,000 miles) since leaving home, car is running well and due for another service and a couple of tires replaced before we move on...

Some pics!

First up, a solar/pedal powered bike/quad we saw in the Northern Territory:

9362017185_a51de52ae2.jpg

First night tent set up, Thumbs Up!

9362017269_6ba4934be5.jpg

Some very long, straight roads through the middle of Australia...

9362017321_8a6ecb58ac.jpg

Arty Pics:

9362017353_2b3bbf250c.jpg

9362017391_34722abccb.jpg

Our camping set up is dwarfed by those around us this morning...

9362017435_d48745e4ba.jpg

Ice on the tent this morning:

9362023055_36a6b83cbc.jpg

Going to let ourselves recover from the drive and then it will be on to the bike for the final push to the deadline!

Stay tuned!

Luke.

Sure did Lucas! A big 4 days driving though, worn out! :roll:
Hoping I am up to unpacking the bike tomorrow at least so I can start work sooner rather than later!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Sure did Lucas! A big 4 days driving though, worn out! :roll:
Hoping I am up to unpacking the bike tomorrow at least so I can start work sooner rather than later!

Luke.
WOW would love to see Ice around here!!!!! Bike is looking great and the fact it was built on the road is amazing!!!!! drive safe and cant wait to see what you do next!!!!

Troy

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8 FINISHED DRIVING, TIME TO WORK!

I can dig those long straight roads.

Driving at night you can often see miles ahead from the lights of the car in front on 'higher than usual beam' although there are the odd embarrassing signs of people who nodded off in straight ahead mode who slept for miles until a slow bend found them driving into some guys wire fence to wake up.

Glad to see you staying safe amongst the 4.00pm drinks camper folks.

Did you get a chance to see the guy with the solar at all I'd bet you could mount more cells on your machine and not get blown around so much by the trucks passing.

Thanks Troy!

Did not get a chance to meet the solar rider Dave, would not have minded having a closer look at his machine but the crowd around it was prohibitive...

A bike packed in the trailer shot for Junknutz:

9366565815_c5b893271d.jpg

9366565855_bacd54ef3b.jpg

A tight fit! And that is with the tent platform already out of the way...

Started unpacking and collecting together the things that still need doing, started a pile...

9366565893_7a0525fd2c.jpg

Found an interesting item on the side of the road coming over, we stopped to move some galvanised mine platform stairs that had fallen off the back of a truck all over the road, figured we better move them or someone will hit one and blow a tire, or worse...
On the way back to the car I noticed something sticking up out of the ground, all twisted and rusted, had to have a look!
So after some gentle cleaning and some not so gentle panel beating, here is my find...

9366565925_a45fbc4314.jpg

A couple of things I could do with it, but it did dawn on me that the letters could be re-arranged to spell RATROD... :mrgreen:

My Dad "Big Jim" who has helped out with some design features on the bike and organised and paid for the weld on flanges for the sprockets and brake disc, and also taught me just about everything I know, GAVE me his little hobby lathe! He just said it is too small for anything he wanted to do with it, and was probably too small for anything I wanted, but if I had a use for it, it was mine... I have a use for it, going to set it up for doing my crazy wheel hubs! :mrgreen:

9366565947_9c44711ed6.jpg

Anyway, you may remember a while back I mentioned I had come up with a more personal theme for the bike, and everything that has happened since then has only confirmed it as the right choice... So I present to you my new theme and the bikes new name as it is mocked up on some perforated steel mesh to weld into the side covers...

9366566003_a44020d871.jpg

"Ese Loco Joker" is now "BIG JIM" :mrgreen:
They are both larger than life, a little rusty and unfinished around the edges and both have huge shoes!

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ RRBO#8. (Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!)

:D

I'm still amazed you built a bike of THIS scale on the open road :shock:

That's dedication !

A great reminder some creations have a longer term future in your control than others.

A very fitting practical tribute to a man who has obviously also been able to teach more than mechanical skills. Just seeing the extra progress since his timely arranging some crucial parts got this build moving forward again to such a great result even as it is now.

Love you getting him on it on video as well so when you arrive at it's stage 1 finished condition he has actually been a rider as well as an encourager of inovation.

One of the good things about this site amd people is their heart and soul that goes far beyond mechanical expertise.

Love that "rat rod" sign and the new theme.
Cue up some Jim Croce
Don't tug on Superman's cape.
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPUC0fKy4io

I wish I could have watched this build on the Discovery channel, if they would have filmed it. It would be a better show than half the stuff on TV now, WOW what an adventure, great choice in the name change, that's my Dads name also.

junknutz1975 said:
:D

I'm still amazed you built a bike of THIS scale on the open road :shock:

That's dedication !

Thanks JunkNutz, and thanks for the nod in the highlight thread too! :D

Kroozerdave said:
A great reminder some creations have a longer term future in your control than others.

A very fitting practical tribute to a man who has obviously also been able to teach more than mechanical skills. Just seeing the extra progress since his timely arranging some crucial parts got this build moving forward again to such a great result even as it is now.

Love you getting him on it on video as well so when you arrive at it's stage 1 finished condition he has actually been a rider as well as an encourager of inovation.

One of the good things about this site amd people is their heart and soul that goes far beyond mechanical expertise.
Very well said Dave! So glad I managed to convince him to ride it, I was keeping the name change a secret at that point, but knew it would be pretty awesome to have a video of him riding the bike named after him! :wink:

kingfish254 said:
Love that "rat rod" sign and the new theme.
Cue up some Jim Croce
Don't tug on Superman's cape.
Nice one King! Never heard that song before! Still have "rollin, rollin, rollin" going in my head somedays though!!! Thanks also for the Highlights thread pic, it must be the only one in there that does not contain any pics of a bike or bike parts... :lol:

Gold Street Customs said:
I wish I could have watched this build on the Discovery channel, if they would have filmed it. It would be a better show than half the stuff on TV now, WOW what an adventure, great choice in the name change, that's my Dads name also.
:lol: I would watch that too!

Tommy Atoms said:
Love it, love it, love it. Safe travels. Id keep the Roadtrain sign just the way it is. Those gravel trains are legend up here.
Yep, I am torn with the sign, part of me wants to RatRod it and fit it too the offside cover on the bike, the other half wants to hang it on the wall when I get home... I am leaning towards hanging it on the wall at this point, don't want it taking away from the "BigJim" theme... :wink:

Getting the tires done on the car today, and picking some stuff up, so don't know how much I will accomplish... Was hoping to paint the wheels today, but it just started raining, I do have the use of a shed to work in, but the humidity would still be way up, so maybe get the brake or bars done instead...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Found an interesting item on the side of the road coming over, we stopped to move some galvanised mine platform stairs that had fallen off the back of a truck all over the road, figured we better move them or someone will hit one and blow a tire, or worse...
On the way back to the car I noticed something sticking up out of the ground, all twisted and rusted, had to have a look!
So after some gentle cleaning and some not so gentle panel beating, here is my find...

9366565925_a45fbc4314.jpg

8) Nice find... definitely a wall hanging memento of your momentous road trip in my opinion :D

Latest posts

Back