26 inch wheels on a road frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I put 26 inch wheels on a frame intended for 27 inches? My 26 inch wheels are coaster so brake reach wont be an issue. Anyone ever do this? Just wondering

I've seen it done on Schwinn Varsity frames. In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that the Schwinn Sidewinder was a Varsity with 26" wheels. You may also have better luck with a steel frame instead of aluminum as the coaster hub is likely more narrow than a multi-speed hub. Good luck.

I put a set of 26" coaster wheels on a 27" 10 speed Free Spirit frame. They had 26x175 tires on them. Fit great and look cool. I don't think 26x2.125's will quite clear.

I've done it a few times. A 65 Continental and a 71 Varsity here:

mvgf81.jpg

1zd6w45.jpg

This is one of those cases where you'll want measure stuff before you buy stuff, such as the clearance between the seat stays and chainstays about 280mm thru about 330mm from the dropout. If you're running 2.125" balloon tires,
You'll want about 2.5" of wiggle room between both sets of stays. take the same measurement between the fork blades.

You'll also want to look into shorter cranks, /c even if the bike had 27"x1.25" tires, ad even if you'll be able to fit in 26"x2.125" tires, you're still looking at a theoretical 1/2" drop, being closer to an inch or more once you
take into account that your weight will deflect the tire down further.

On the Copper bike, they are 2.125, but some tires are wider with the same named width. Beach cruiser tires might have scrubbed. On the yellow bike, that's an S7 wheel with Schwinn 2 inch tire. The good thing is all the widths available at the regular 26".

Wildcat said:
On the Copper bike, they are 2.125, but some tires are wider with the same named width. Beach cruiser tires might have scrubbed. On the yellow bike, that's an S7 wheel with Schwinn 2 inch tire. The good thing is all the widths available at the regular 26".

wildcat.
It's important to remember that old Schwinn "lightweights" have buttloads of clearance; most 27"-wheel road bikes won't be as capacious as your bikes,

Tried fitting tires today, rear is ok, but a smidge tight. I will have to spread the fork to get the front on. I may have to put some mountain slicks on the rims. Wish the LBSs around here had them in cream. I'm sure that's special order no matter where you are.

Thxcuz said:
Tried fitting tires today, rear is ok, but a smidge tight. I will have to spread the fork to get the front on. I may have to put some mountain slicks on the rims. Wish the LBSs around here had them in cream. I'm sure that's special order no matter where you are.

My lbs has a set of cream franks in stock at all times, but that's kinda my fault.

Bicycle808 said:
Wildcat said:

wildcat.
It's important to remember that old Schwinn "lightweights" have buttloads of clearance; most 27"-wheel road bikes won't be as capacious as your bikes,

That's right, he may have to go as narrow as 1.50, but there are some really good tires at that size, with almost as good rolling resistance as the skinny tires.

I know on the '72 Schwinn Super Sport 27" bike that 26x1.75" tires were no problem. It also had a 6" throw crank where most ballooners and middleweights were 6.5" throw cranks. Thanks!!!

Wildcat said:
Bicycle808 said:
Wildcat said:

wildcat.

That's right, he may have to go as narrow as 1.50, but there are some really good tires at that size, with almost as good rolling resistance as the skinny tires.

True, but this (27"x1.25" vs 26"x1.5") will also drop your BB by >3/4", so you'll wanna run some kiddie cranks to avoid pedal-scraping.

Good point again. I may just abandon the whole idea and use that wheel set for a different project.

Latest posts

Back