Mr & Mrs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew it was some kind of toy, but I thought it was some sort of nautical odd bike to use on the lake... :roll:

Parts and color combo are beautiful, can´t wait to see them done! :wink:

Thank you guys! :D

I finished painting all the parts last sunday, but I forgot to take photos of the painted frames. Then I thought that I'd stripe the fenders and chainguards and maybe even make the circuits for the lights this week. But since I'm back in town and back to my studies I've felt that I've needed to get everything rolling before finishing the last few bits. So I haven't done anything on the bikes this week but I have some photos from last weekend that I haven't posted yet. Here they are:

First of all, lingonberries! :)

Lingon.jpg

The chainguard for Mr. When I removed the masking tape some bits of paint came off. Not too big a catastophe because those spots will be painted over when I paint the stripes.

Mlat10.jpg

Forks.

Mlat11.jpg

The fenders for Mr.

Mlat12.jpg

Here are the chainguards after I masked, cut out and spraypainted the Galtbacken logo on them.

Mlat13.jpg

That's all I got right now. I'll try to get some more done next week! :)

wow really like the men's color scheme. previously i thought they would both be painted the same with the white and red, but the cream read and black is just really clean, like black cherries on vanilla icecream. very nice. glad to see the new pictures, can't wait to see those lights!

Thank you all for the feedback and kind words! :D

The first two weeks of this year's studies has gone by and...phew, my head!! :lol: Anyway, tonight I managed to compose myself and paint the gold stripes on both chainguards.

I couldn't find where I'd put the paint since last time, so I went to a hobby store to get som new paint. When I was just about to pay for the paint I noticed something from the corner of my eye.

Svrdslpare.jpg

I didn't expect to find one of those brushes in that store, but when I saw it it felt wrong not to buy it! :D So now I have a "proper" striping brush.

I painted the outlines of my logo with an old watercolour brush, but after that I loaded my newly acquired tool and painted the gold stripes.

Randat1.jpg

This photo came out a little strange, because it almost doesn't show the gold lines on the white chainguard and the lines on the black one looks wider than they really are. In reality the gold lines are about as wide on the white chainguard as on the black one, but not as wide as they look on the black one in the photo.
I was going to take close up photos of the logos, but then the camera ran out of batteries.

Next up will be to paint gold stripes on the fenders, and I'm considering if I should shoot a couple of extra clearcoats on the chainguards. It was a windy day when I clearcoated them and the surface isn't as smooth as I'd like. It almost looks like a rough satin surface. I think I'd like it to be glossier. Hopefully a quick fix.

After striping the fenders I'll make a more thorough documentation of how I make the LED-circuits for the lights. :)

Take care until next time!

Very impressive! :mrgreen:

Now that you find that brush nothing will stop you!!! Is it easier now? or just a little? I hope I get that lucky to find one my self some day!!

Galt, I´m about to build something I know you´ll like, in fact I´ll get to it as soon as I finish this post, be alert for PM!! :wink:

Thanks guys, glad you like the bikes so far! :)

I apologise for the late reply, lots of studying now that I'm back at the university again.

Gdcast: Yeah, it's easier with that brush. At least to make long lines. For the outlines on the logo I used an ordinary worn out watercolour brush. Seemed easier for those tiny lines since that's the type of brush I'm used to handle. How's the cajón playing going? :)

sumnermclain: I'll look for a useful link! There's one I found when I was going to solder the circuits for my first build that was good. I'll see if I can find it. Stay tuned! :)

Not much progress on the bikes for a few weeks, but today I finished the seat for Mr.

From this:

Sadel1.jpg

To this:

Sadel2.jpg

I'll try to finish the other seat this weekend, if not before. After that awaits the LED-circuits.

Time to make a luchbox for tomorrow and rest my head a little! :)

Impressive as usual Galt! Of all the nice saddles you´ve made, IMO, I think this is the best one.
Good to hear about the brush, I´ll be looking into getting one, maybe I´ll buy one on epay and get it shipped here. Making long thing straight lines with the brush I have is starting to annoy me (not as much as sanding but still :? :lol: ).

Cajon playing is going well, not doing it as much as I´d like but enjoying it every chance I get. Added some more screws to the front panel and sound improved significantly, it´s really cool. 8)

Well, keep building my friend, can´t wait to see these two babys done, and so on for the Whippet :wink: :mrgreen:

Thanks, nice to hear you like the saddle! :)

UnDerzon3: Cool bike you've built there! The Fairlady that I built last year started out as the 3-speed version of that same bike. :) I'm following your school project build. Looks like a fun project, keep it up! :)

Gdcast: The cajon is a fantastic instrument! Beautiful simplicity with surpricing posibilities. 8) I'll continue my e-drum build when these two bikes are finished so the Whippet will have to wait for a while longer.

Finished the seat for Mrs today.

Sadel3.jpg

Now I only have to make the LED-circuits and then I can start assembling the bikes. :)

Galtbacken said:
UnDerzon3: Cool bike you've built there! The Fairlady that I built last year started out as the 3-speed version of that same bike. :) I'm following your school project build. Looks like a fun project, keep it up! :)

glad to hear you like it :)
i'm really looking forward to getting my schoolproject going. but my welding teacher still hasn't ordered any tubes for my frame even tho i asked him a couple of weeks before the summer break if he could get them, and back then he told me that he was going to order them the week after i talked to him and that frase has been coming back week after week...
"i'll be ordering them next week..."

UnDerzon3: Hope you've got the materials you need by now! It's been a long wait for you. I usually try to not be the least dependent on others as possible for my projects, so that it's not hindered by thing that others are supposed to do, but I guess since your build is a school project your welding teacher is probably the guy in charge for ordering tubes and such for it. :)

Ok, the bikes are finally finished but I'll show photos of them int the next post. I've been asked to show how I make the circuits for the lights, so this post will be about that. :)
Here we go!

Here are the calculations for the circuit. It's very basic, Ohm's law and not much else.

Kopplingsschema.jpg

Components.

LED-krets1.jpg

Tools. The lid with some damp tissue paper in it is for wiping off the tip of the soldering iron.

LED-krets2.jpg

I start by placing the LEDs in the board.

LED-krets3.jpg

When they're in place, I bend their legs a little to keep them in place. Be careful to not bend too much and damage anything.

LED-krets4.jpg

Then I cut the legs of the LEDs about a millimeter or so from the board.

LED-krets5.jpg

Soldered.

LED-krets6.jpg

When bending the legs of the resistors I bend one first (uhm...don't know how to do it otherwise :D ), then place the resistor where it's supposed to be on the board to measure where to bend the other leg.

LED-krets7.jpg

LED-krets8.jpg

The legs are cut before soldering to avoid the risk of damaging the component or the soldered connection.

LED-krets9.jpg

Blurry photo, sorry about that! This was just to show that before soldering wires to the circuit, they're peeled at the end and then a tiny bit of solder is applied to the ends to help making a better connection.

LED-krets10.jpg

Here's the soldered circuit. The resistors for the LED that's going to be in the tail light (those two in parallell) are soldered on this main board so that the tiny board in the tai light only holds the LED and the connecting wires.

LED-krets11.jpg

Here are the wires for the switch and battery also soldered in.

LED-krets12.jpg

Cable lugs (correct word for them?) on the wires for the tail light.

LED-krets13.jpg

Tail light circuit board.

LED-krets14.jpg

Finished!

LED-krets15.jpg

LED-krets16.jpg

Here's a page that explains a basic LED circuit well: http://unclean.org/howto/led_circuit.html

Hope this can be of any help! :)

Hare are the photos of the finished bikes. :)

Mr.

Mr1.jpg

Mr2.jpg

Mr3.jpg

Mr4.jpg

Mr5.jpg

Mr6.jpg

Mrs.

Mrs1.jpg

Mrs2.jpg

Mrs3.jpg

Mrs4.jpg

Mrs5.jpg

Mrs6.jpg

Both together.

MrMrs1.jpg

MrMrs2.jpg

Project done! :) Thank you for your interest everybody, more builds to come next summer!

Latest posts

Back