Stck Schwinn Stem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tips on removing a stuck stem have failed me so far. Liquid wrench hasn't loosened up a thing. I have beaten and pulled and even waited for it to work a day or two and repeated the process.

Has anyone ever cut off the stem and used an "easy out" to remove the part of the stem in the head tube? Or cut off the stem and driven it through and out the head tube with a hammer and chisel? Don't want to ruin the fork or head tube but this won't budge.

Can you stick some steel rod up through the fork crown and drive it out by hammering?

I cut the stem once to get the fork off so could just use the frame. Later I was able to drive the remaining part out from the bottom. One thing that happens is the rust and pressure of the stem wedge will actually break a hole in the steer tube. By cutting the stem you can see if this is the issue also.

I may be making progress. The lock nut that was frozen to the stem and fork loosened up. Still can't move the stem but if I ever do, I can now get the fork off the frame. And somewhere in the process the stem wedge fell out. Not deformed at all so I hope that means the steer is pretty much intact.

I begin to see the advantages of the threadless headsets.

Stick a long thick screwdriver where the handlebar slides through and twist :wink: Worked for me :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back