Continental?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this 1979 contintental cheap on CL. I think it's a continental because of the full chrome fork and FQ547155 makes it June 1979? A complete bike with no decals and sort of rough paint but some nice filet brazing where the headtube joins the top tube and bottom tube and on the bottom bracket. A pretty common bike though so it won't bring much in a flip. Maybe a good candidate for a fixed gear conversion?

schwinn3.jpg

schwinn1.jpg

schwinn2.jpg

Re: Continental by the inches

I've seen films of the Schwinn electro forging process. Those text descriptions are certainly lacking. The parts are more slammed together in a huge shower of sparks. But slammed in a controlled way. The amount of material sacrificed is carefully calculated and measured for in advance. There is no second chance. mess it up and toss the frame.

Every bike company measures frame sizes in their own way. Schwinn listed their 70's varsity & conti models in even inch sizes. 20 22 24, etc.

Some companies measure:
center to center (center of the intersection of the seat tube & top tube)
center to top of seat tube (rather meaningless to include the separate clamp area)
center to top of top tube (center of the seat tube in line with the top of the top tube)

and with modern bikes with sloping top tubes you can measure "Virtual" seat tube lengths, ie, where the top tube would be if it were horizontal to the ground starting at the head tube.

At least they all measure from the center of the bb shell at the lower end.

More useful these days is "Stand over height". From the ground to the top of the top tube, half way from the head tube to the seat tube. It's been commonly accepted that a rider should be able to stand over the bike, both feet flat on the ground for ease of mounting, dismounting and general control. Buying a bike for a kid that they "will grow into" is frowned upon. Back, say 100 years, most bikes were rather large and people were shorter. There was no stand over clearance. But there weren't red lights or many stop signs to deal with either. And there was no futzing with toe clips or cleats.

brentville said:
It's about 23" from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube. What is confusing to me is what Sheldon's site says about the filet brazing era. http://sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

Reading both articles leads to me believe it is in fact electro-forged. Well it is nice and smooth anyway.

you are correct, they were resistance welded and THEN fillet brazed to make them smooth amd pretty..

Could it be a Varsity..I have seen them with all chrome forks..?..But not to often..!

Latest posts

Back