RAY BARBEE & THE MATTSON 2 -- VANS STORE TOUR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Today me and one of my daughters headed down to the Vans Store near by and I got to see and meet some musicians that I've been listening to for the past year. I've become a big fan of Ray Barbee and the Mattson 2 and I listen to just about everything they have put out so far. It's hard to completely describe their music, but to make it easy, they play a jazzy surf style music. It's great music to design to.

They are wrapping up a tour that they started here in Texas called the "Go Out and Do Something Tour." Along with Ray and the Mattson brothers was John Cardiel who DJed the event and played some cool reggae music in between sets. Ray is a professional skater who was one of the innovators of street skating back in the 80s and was on the Powell Peralta team. Ray loves the Lord and still skates today and is sponsored by Element, Vans, and Independent.

I had the privilege of meeting all of these guys today and they were all super friendly guys who are incredible musicians. They are on the Galaxia record label and they are getting ready to do a West Coast tour.

Video of their opening song today shot with my phone...

http://www.vimeo.com/27382190

http://vimeo.com/27387082

Here are a few shots we took today...

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Getting set up...

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

John Cardiel on the wheels of steal...

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

Meeting Ray...man I'm looking old. :lol:

DSC_0058.jpg

Hanging with the Mattson brothers...

DSC_0059.jpg

Some cool swag from the trip...

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

It was really cool watching them play in a small venue like this.

Nothing better than standing 3 feet away from them and then when the set is over you just walk over and start talking with them....very cool.

Here's another video from today...

http://vimeo.com/27384709

The Mattson 2 (Jonathan Mattson Drum, Jared Mattson Guitar/Bass) will be doing a west coast tour for their new Galaxia release “Feeling Hands” Produced by Thomas Campbell. See dates below.

AUGUST 11th
$5 @ Club Pacific w/ Farmer Dave,
Del Monte Speakeasy
52 Windward Ave
Venice CA

AUGUST 13th
@ FREE Una Pizza Napoletana, San Francisco, CA

AUGUST 15th
$8 @ Crepe Place, Santa Cruz, CA

AUGUST 17th
FREE @Valentines, Portland, OR

AUGUST 20th
@ K records Helsing Junction Sleepover $12 for Saturday $30 for Weekend Olympia, WA

AUGUST 25th
$5 @Mercury Lounge, Santa Barbara/Goleta, CA

AUGUST 26th
$12 @ Zoeys, w/ Todd Hannigan & Seth Pettersen Ventura, CA

AUGUST 28th
@ Dizzy’s, San Diego, CA

wow....havent heard those names in a while!! havent seen barbee since i think 87-88 when we skated the winchells gap in salinas and im surprised to see cardiel still has his lip/jaw(cope :lol: )
thanks for posting those

Latest posts

Back