Maytag Revival

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It has the same crest as the washing machines used to have... any information about year and brand would be highly appreciated. And it was not always the camelback it is now :lol: :shock: It has 28 inch wheels and once was an early motobike double bar type frame. Somebody hacked the lower bar out many years ago- I would give anything to know the reason behind that :wink:. At least no structural damage was sustained when this happened, and after some filing and touch-up painting it is not all that easy to tell that the bar was ever there. This will be one of several winter projects for me. I got a head start today, have been looking forward to the bike's arrival and to working on it for quite a while. The wheels are 28 inch, and may be sold off for a more common size... there almost perfect- no pits or heavy rust, and very straight. I have a suitable replacement seat coming (the original persons seat was very hard). I am cleaning the original crank still and am putting in a matched set of crank chamber bearing cups tonight. I plan on adding trusses to the fork, one of those Colson type wing/ribbed chainguards, original pointed end grips (possibly the small black cokes pictured), a dropstand, and I plan on using a drop stem for the handlebar set pictured. Possibly a few other things. No paint involved. I fit the rusted chrome bearing cups in from a '50's ballooner fork- the original bearing cups were rather loose and one was cracked. :shock:

As purchased (Many thanks to JRE :D)

6tpz5k.jpg

After being waxed and gently cleaned, with filing and paint touchups where the lower bar was removed:

28tanfr.jpg

2qcfpl3.jpg

dgndaq.jpg

j94wu8.jpg

jzd1ts.jpg

34t1gts.jpg

The finish really is better than it looks in the pictures. Where paint is there, it shines nicely :D

That's mighty cool! Too bad about the second bar! Maybe some kid in the 50s was trying to make that "old fashioned" bike look like an English touring bike. As for replacement rims, 700c's are the closest, 27"s are next closest. I picked up a pair of 28" Flying Pigeon rims on ebay for one of my oldies. They have regular clincher tires. The rear has a freewheel, so I'll have to relace it w/a coaster hub. ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
That's mighty cool! Too bad about the second bar! Maybe some kid in the 50s was trying to make that "old fashioned" bike look like an English touring bike. As for replacement rims, 700c's are the closest, 27"s are next closest. I picked up a pair of 28" Flying Pigeon rims on ebay for one of my oldies. They have regular clincher tires. The rear has a freewheel, so I'll have to relace it w/a coaster hub.

~Adam

Thanks! I would really like to know why it was hacked out. Because it was done nicely enough, I imagine it was for stylistic reasons and not to fix some one's exhaust pipe or broken gutter. :lol: Thanks for the helpful information about wheels.

Unchained said:
Uncle Stretch said:
It funny we all add an extra bar and someone took one out....strange..nice bike

That was my thought. :lol: Thanks.

Isn't that the main difference between the pioneer hotrodders vs the hotrodders of today?

I could imagine this: Back in the days people were trying to 'update' their old cars by making them more modern. In this bicycle case by removing that 2nd bar. While we, now-day's hotrodders are trying our absolute best to make our newer cars and bikes look old and thus we add that 2nd bar.

But it IS kinda funny though. :?

Thanks- nope, I filed the seat post tube clasp off, so I won't be putting the second bar back. I considered it, but there is loads of brazing at either place where the missing bar was attached to the frame, and I don't imagine it would weld too well. I thought it looked pretty nice as a camelback frame, so I just cleaned up the joints and re-painted them.

I think I found a set of tires for it this afternoon... have a seat lined up, which i will be customizing... can't wait to get this best rolling again :D

Played with some bars today and found a pair that I really like on the bike. Unfortunately, they currently belong to another project... prewar ladies Torrington bars and a Varsity drop stem... they seem to be really comfortable... and I really dig the way they look.

2qtenhv.jpg

hwhksg.jpg

358s4uu.jpg

(another shot of the front frame repair... a little more noticeable than I'd like)

25rfkhy.jpg

nlo55h.jpg

The current wheelset may go up for sale... depending upon how my tires fit... I might look for some older Raleigh wheels with some kind of SA multispeed hub and rims that accept a more common tire size...

Thanks to Danimal for a killer seat and to Walker for some really great trusses. :D I added a crashrail and some missing hardware to the seat, and was able to slam it down onto the frame. It is very, very comfortable set up the way it is currently, and I really like how low the seat sits. I need to bend the truss bracket back down yet and to clean the seat up a little more. I solved some issues with the crank (the teeth were rubbing the frame at most points), and it rolls freely. Need to clean the chain and make up my mind about wheels, chainguard and grips and the bike will be done.

33xvwuq.jpg

j0ae4y.jpg

2nm3gjo.jpg

2eclz6p.jpg

i like this bike a lot. I need a set of bars like that for the BFG road bike I picked up Sunday.

i reckon that that would look so cool and sporty without the mudguards

i love the bars and the seat and the frame looks mad cool, loving the top tube bend

cant wait to see it done

I traded for some clincher 28 inch wheels today- the rear wheel has a 3 speed hub, too. :D Will be modifying some rod brakes to fit the bike... have a new set of tires... going to make a custom grip shift set eventually.

15hgccm.jpg

whxmdh.jpg

aynbit.jpg

Latest posts

Back