German Bike ID help.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A local charity that I donate bikes to has this German 3 spd, and asked me how old I thought it was, and what I thought they could sell it for. I did some google searches, but didn't come up with much, in english, that is.
I think the fenders are aluminum.
Wrote the Serial # down, and forgot to take it with me :?
Anyone have any insight to offer?
Thanks!
Jules

001-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

009-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

it says "Olympia Muenchen" on the seat tube. the olympic summergames in Munich (german: "Muenchen") were 1972, so i think we can date the bike around that year :wink:

edit:
i'm just wondering, why a sturmey & archer hub was used in the back and not a fichtel & sachs :?

Markm said:
is the hub a S/A? Should be dated...
Took a look at the hub today. Looks like it might be dated 10 of 72. It's a very light stamping, especially the 7. But it would go with what Nickname suggested. So I'm thinking it's an Olympic issue German bike.
Any idea how I should price this? As I stated before, I'm trying to sell it for a local charity.
Thanks,
Jules

Nickname said:
it says "Olympia Muenchen" on the seat tube. the olympic summergames in Munich (german: "Muenchen") were 1972, so i think we can date the bike around that year :wink:

edit:
i'm just wondering, why a sturmey & archer hub was used in the back and not a fichtel & sachs :?

NN,
I took another look at the lettering on the seat stem, and just after Munchen, it has the numbers 7 2. Seems you may be right. The bike must of been built in honor/celebration of the 72 Olympics.
Serial #: 253625
Not a clue what it's worth.....
Thanks,
Jules

Hello from Germany!
Kalkhoff bicycles are seen very often here!
But the prices vor such a bike are not very high...
at an Oldtimer-market sale it would bring about 150-200€ .
It is in good shape but it`s to young to get a good price for it!
Greetz
klaas

schrammi said:
Hello from Germany!
Kalkhoff bicycles are seen very often here!
But the prices vor such a bike are not very high...
at an Oldtimer-market sale it would bring about 150-200€ .
It is in good shape but it`s to young to get a good price for it!
Greetz
klaas
Bicycles must be more expensive in Germany. I'm assuming you're talking Euros. If so, at today's exchange, that's approx $200-275 US. One can buy a pretty nice old bike for that kind of money. If I had to guess, this bike will sell for $50 to $75 here in the states.

Prost!
Jules

Latest posts

Back