I hate painting so I'll build instead!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hate painting, These ole' hands just cramp up detailing before the paint goes on. I'll just do a little at a time. So I'll just start another in the meantime.

This project is something I've been thinking of ever since I started my sex change :shock: bike. That bike uses a ladies bike and I have collected a lot of them from the trash that are not that great. Good way to use them up.

Like those board trackers everyone makes by adding another bar I thought I could get rid of a few bikes by making them into something nice instead of hacking them into parts. So I've started with a Tyler made in Poland. Already I can think a few jokes but it ain't going to happen here :| .

Tyler%20Build-01.jpg

Pretty ugly but it rides good. It has a Dutch coaster brake. I then started to bend up a few bars and mocked them up into these:

One
Tyler%20Build-02.jpg

Two
Tyler%20Build-03.jpg

Three
Tyler%20Build-04.jpg

Four
Tyler%20Build-05.jpg

I'm going to curve the seat stays down to the top bar to carry out the curve on the first few.
What's your thought?

GL

I like #3.....Unique.

KOTA said:
I like #3.....Unique.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy has good taste, so I'll go along with him, #3

I like them all and your suggestions how to use them . I'll just have to build more from my stash.

Tyler%20Build-09.jpg

I mocked #2 frame with the lower bar closer. This bike was intended for a friend to ride with his 5 year old kid. It will be black and orange, his sons favorite bike colors, or military
Updates later. Thanks!

GL

I've been busy today putting some thoughts into motion.

Tyler%20Build-06.jpg

Last week I bent the seat stays back slowly with a lot of small bends with a conduit bender. If I were to do it again I'd cut that little connector between the stays out for the bend and weld it back in after. At least I think I'll have more contol with the bend, we'll see.

Tyler%20Build-11.jpg

Made a new seat post and added a clamp.

Tyler%20Build-12.jpg

Made some truss rods for the forks from straighten gas grille axles, I think that's where I got them. (Nope, you got them from beach chairs :? )

Tyler%20Build-14.jpg

The 'ole hag's tooth truss rod holder thingy. That maybe too technical a name for it but keep up with me here. I made it from a piece of hanger from under my truck that I had fixed.

Tyler%20Build-16.jpg

So far this is what I have done. I need to thread the truss rods and get a couple of nuts and acorns to top them off. I'm going through my bar stash looking for a set to make a crossbar style for this bike.

Later

GL

Man,I really like the way this build's going!!! Believe it or not,I learned lots watching it...it never occured to me to weld my own bars to get the frame design I wanted :oops: ...now if I just had access to a welder :?

Latest posts

Back