Can you powder coat chrome?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, if your coater has a blaster that is abrasive enough to “roughen” the chrome, he may coat over the chrome. I speak from experience and my powder coated chrome still looks good.
(I understand if others might disagree and deep dive into the technical details of metallurgy.)

However, if your coater has a blaster that is abrasive enough to “roughen” the chrome, he may coat over the chrome. I speak from experience and my powder coated chrome still looks good.
(I understand if others might disagree and deep dive into the technical details of metallurgy.)
Correct.....it CAN be done if you create a bondable surface. However it takes a skilled hand with the blaster to make it uniform and a heavier coat of powder to gloss over any substrate imperfections. In my technical experience always better to start off clean

And if you have something like chrome over nickel you don't want to pierce that chrome layer at all even if you are going to coat back over it later

I will likely Scotchbrite it to knock down the shine. I am leaning towards a raw finish on the frame. We’ll see what things look like when I get the frame, fork and wheels together.

I think you could use a good adhesive translucent gold lacquer like used on stringed instrument finishes and it would look like a gold version of candy apple with incredible depth.

There are all kinds of diy kits from Eastwood for home plating. You can reverse the electric flow to remove existing chrome. I use my car battery charger with the parts in a 5 gallon bucket.

"I think you could use a good adhesive translucent gold lacquer like used on stringed instrument finishes and it would look like a gold version of candy apple with incredible depth. "

Just had a box mart bike like that. Genesis Krome. Chrome plated frame with a pink laquer over it. Very unique.

Just had a box mart bike like that. Genesis Krome. Chrome plated frame with a pink laquer over it. Very unique.
I don't think that is paint over chrome...I think it is spray krome, all the rage for a second a few years ago.

Spray Krome

I read some posts on car forums when it came out, and the general consensus that for grills and such that it looked great when sprayed...but, if you actually drove the car it would be trashed in a month or two... just not very durable.

I ask as I may gold member out my new project.
Their is a guy on my other site who had a formula that would remove chrome plating but it took a couple weeks. I will look to see if I can find it after work. A few different rust removing chemicals that eventually get under the chrome. I'm not sure if he was removing good chrome or something that had been compromised.

I don't think that is paint over chrome...I think it is spray krome, all the rage for a second a few years ago.

Spray Krome

I read some posts on car forums when it came out, and the general consensus that for grills and such that it looked great when sprayed...but, if you actually drove the car it would be trashed in a month or two... just not very durable.
Can confirm, somewhere I picked up a Mall wart kent 20". It was a wierd pink satin chrome but it was originally much darker and shiny in spots where the sun did not fade it. Ugly.

Latest posts

Back