Wear a helmet. Seriously.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a major face plant on my fat bike yesterday. I hit something slippery crossing on to a path, possibly radiator coolant, and before I could react I was kissing the pavement. Hard. Lost some skin, got some cuts and bruises - but nothing serious. That's only because I was wearing a good quality lid. The impact damage on it is obvious. They are compulsory here - but I would have had it on even if they weren't.

Find one you like and wear it - one saved my brain from possible injury yesterday.

Most importantly - the bike suffered only minor damage and has already been repainted.

Last edited:
We always check the bike before checking ourselves!

I have had three wrecks that would have rendered me a turnip, so you are preaching to the choir here. I am a fierce advocate for helmet usage, as helmets prevent so many bad injuries. Brain injuries are no joke, I have suffered a few playing contact sports.

Glad you made it out relatively unscathed. A brain bucket has saved me countless times over the years. After racing motorcycles for the better part of 25 years, 4 diagnosed concussions (and probably several undiagnosed), and two friends buried due to head injuries I'll advocate for safety

I don't wear mine all the time, but I definitely wear one more often than not

To expand upon the topic of helmet usage, I have been pondering the use of a full face helmet. The only thing that has been a problem for implementation is the fact it makes use of a water bottle harder. A Camelback gave me the hives, so I am a bit gun shy at the moment.

Last edited:
To expand upon the topic of helmet usage, I have been pondering the use of a full face helmet. The only thing that has been a problem for implementation is the fact it makes use of a water bottle harder. A Camelback gave he the hives, so I am a bit gun shy at the moment.

You need something with a big roomy chinbar like the Kali Invader, or the 100% Trajecta. Or you could go with a convertible

I've got an older Fox Rampage and I just use these

51QvlzC3tyL._AC_SX425_.jpg

You need something with a big roomy chinbar like the Kali Invader, or the 100% Trajecta. Or you could go with a convertible

I've got an older Fox Rampage and I just use these

View attachment 143341

Never thought of that! Thanks! So I need to go to the hockey store, eh?
Not hard to get me there. Just need to get cleared to play as I had hernia repair surgery!

A timely reminder about helmets. I haven't used (or even owned.) one for ages... Its been in the back of my mind to find one and use it. The problem is that all which look decent, cost a lot. But its ridiculous to spend +500€ for renovating and building a bike and not spend 150€ for a decent helmet. This is something I will get on my next payday.

In Finland wearing one is mandatory by law, but nobody cares and nobody enforces it. We have plenty of stupid laws nobody gives a .... about, but this is certainly one of the important ones. Latest thing about bicycles here that both front and back lights became mandatory on every bike not long ago. Makes sense as the winters are long and extremely dark... People seem to be using the lights a lot, but most still go on without protecting their heads.

Classic style black biker helmet, that would be cool. :D I've seen those for sale, modern protection, classic shape. Pricey but there's no price tag on health. One crash could end it all without it so its about .... time to get it.

I swear I'm in some alternate bizzaro universe...:tmi:.

Hope you have a quick recovery, BDC.

Thanks - but I'm fine. Rode the Fat So again this afternoon - all was left to fix was the wheel had twisted slightly in the forks when I landed on them, straightened that out and we was off.

6.jpg

Around here, common sense isn't common. We can't even get people to wear a mask, they hold protests against it! And viruses are far more contagious than bike accidents. I doubt helmet laws would be accepted by the "personal freedom" crowd.

Around here, common sense isn't common. We can't even get people to wear a mask, they hold protests against it! And viruses are far more contagious than bike accidents. I doubt helmet laws would be accepted by the "personal freedom" crowd.
I am a civil libertarian at heart, but helmets and masks need to be worn at appropriate times.

I wear one more than I should, the other less than I should. And I run my mouth too much. Helmets are a great idea. I wear them on the track, trails, and in traffic. I just can't bring myself to do it on the date night cruises.

I always where a helmet when riding a motorcycle.

But I don't wear a bicycle helmet as much as I should. Especially considering how opinionated and preachy I am.

If I'm honest, it's not because it's hot, or itchy, or some made up medical condition, it's because I don't look as cool :blush:

Last edited:
it's been I don't look as cool

Yeah - I understand that too. We don't get a choice here. It's a $113 fine for not wearing one. And it's enforced somewhat.

But even so - I'd rather look a bit nerdy than having to be fed through a straw.

Of course a catastrophic injury might never happen either - but my world has been a different place for the last few days even with a relatively minor spill - that I *know* would have been worse without the hat.

Latest posts

Back