BO15 PINK PANTHER - Close, but no cigar.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh nice! I have some sheet metal, but not sure how to finesse the dome effect and have it even on both sides...looks like this will require some ingenuity, fabrication, & trial-error. What is this, a 'build off'!?! :21:

I've been looking but can't find the old forum thread (not this forum) about using those pizza pans. They made a domed buck to push the centers out after drilling the middle. Then they sanded and banged to fit. Mounting is a different story. I've seen zip ties and thru bolts

I really want to cap my rear wheel, but not trying to pay for vintage bmx discs. Any one have a DIY hack for wheel covers/discs?View attachment 122041
I had an idea to use very thin steel that is normally used for this style of doors:
6dc9f59c40618112ee817f67bb2a

I made a tank out of this kind of steel for my electric ZZR Pionier:
IMG_2107.JPG

Super easy to work with, cause you only need metal cutting scissors, and sandpaper.

I like your thinking on the forks and the underslung apes.

Ok, quick sidetrack, but relevant to my build. Don't know where ya'll stand in regard to signs and the spiritual, but this was a comforting moment for me.

My wife and I were visiting the nature preserve near our house for the first time today. Near the end of our hike we were standing at the edge of a stream and sending out thanks and manifestations out over the water. As we turned to leave, I saw a silver glint in the bushes. I reached down and there was a chrome cap for the end of a pipe. The forks on my PINK PANTHER build currently have open tubing at the crown. I literally have the exact same chrome caps saved in my ebay cart right now, and this cap is the exact size I need, AND it's sitting in the brush in the middle of a nature preserve.

A dear friend and fellow bike builder, 'Greybeard John ' Dodson, passed 2 years ago, and he was a big inspiration to me. I feel like this was a little gift from him. Thanks for the 'hello' John. Love and miss you brother. GBJFL

20200530_171917.jpg

The cap
20200530_192724.jpg

20200530_192643.jpg

I needed a bunch of miscellaneous hardware for my build, so I popped into Goodwill for a second and BOOM...perfect donor bike! $7 and even had the Huffy mag sprocket I wanted to use.
20200605_143746.jpg

20200605_142137.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful fork you have there! And the chrome cap looks good! Great story on the find, I can appreciate it. And the preserve looks beautiful too, only the wrong colour for this build :thumbsup:
Awesome work!

@MONARKofSoCal used Paella pans as wheel discs in BO11. I look forward to your garbage moonies.

1591891370846.png

Today I started harvesting parts from my donor bike. As I opened up the crank assembly, I was 'delighted' to find ZERO grease :doh:! Another win for Walmart lol!
However, the sprocket was intact, and a perfect compliment to my mags. Depending on the clearance once the fork is mounted, I might be able to run a crankarm off a 26". If so, this bike is going to be a breeze to ride!

20200614_164619.jpg

20200614_164656.jpg

20200614_172003.jpg

Ok, my trash can lids finally came in, and I have a couple ideas for mounting and aesthetic (more to come). They are 13" across, but with a 1.5" lip. This will help in the deconstruction/reconstruction of these as moon discs.

Also, 'PLAN A' for my fork (which would have retained the welded cross brace) is a no go, so I pulled an 'Uncle Joey' and "cut it out". Believe it or not, ease of access removing the wheel was not the motivation, but a welcome benefit to what will be 'PLAN B'.

20200623_191817.jpg

20200623_191830.jpg

Last edited:
That is so trashy!

Latest posts

Back