Unofficial March Shootout II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in! Not much to modify, but I found this bike for free on craigslist and need to get it out of my garage. I am taking a class next week, so there won't be much progress. Here it is as found:
index.php

and here is where it sits- new pedals, saddle, bars flipped and a chainguard dropped over the chainwheel:
index.php

It's a Chappelli- an Australian marketed, ChiCom made hipster bike, like a Linus or a Public.
https://www.chappelli.com/
It's not that bad quality (apart from the crummy chrome plating) and a 3 speed. The cables were cut so stylishly short that both of the brake adjusters were bent, and the dropped bars and jock strap of a saddle made for an uncomfortable ride and visibility not up to city deathrace traffic conditions. I have lights to add, and the Velo Orange saddle is probably too nice if I end up trying to sell the bike. The chainguard (I think) is off of some kind of Raleigh. I was able to find a picture of a Raleigh muscle bike with something similar. A part of me wants to strip the paint off of the rims and polish them.
I'm out! Certain family members can't be bothered to close doors and gates in a city infested with criminals and an inert popo "force". I think I will just collect bike parts.

Progress!
9510a286b2dbaf1c0bbfb7a7008e1b8e.plist

3cc13e9642be9dd7e1a7129d0caea728.plist

f3d399061bde432e27341522d7596466.plist

I was planning to use this head badge, but the colors are a little off. It is in the same spectrum as the colors of the frame, but it just feels wrong.
9b816740ade3a8847531698a41aa08f5.plist

Do I need to change the project name now? Nope, the shape of the handlebars looks like a hawk I think. So I’m safe here [emoji1690].
b73c94b251d7bb128799add9400e5316.plist

I ended up using this badge. It got a nice contrast with the frame and goes well with the Brooks Saddle.
f68f4b6484090f1d6ba8a63e83f1001d.plist

Next up is taking the “I’m done” pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Klunkers beware . I think I'm going to be waiting at the finish line for you . Tires fit , although there's probably more inter tube then air in them with the 4" tubes at 20 LBS . I like the one piece adapter and Sand Jam bare foot pedals . Want to pick up a new chain and finger nail polish to do some touch up . Then just run the cables to the SA 3 speed and make final adjustments ?
almost.jpg

Last edited:
I’m done...
563a9c4d497a00d46a9bb91f5031d56f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rubbed out the paint today. Now on to assembly but I had to stop and post these shots. I should shoot it all with satin but instead I rubbed in some WD-40 so I can keep working on it.
94045d0a6fce553749e0269bcb185a9d.jpg
8b2dbecace4456d6efd509802bc2d386.jpg
55cfde8c40ed75681f2f2fd657752459.jpg
ceb5dc19ac437e01952266e762d3d9ef.jpg
3daf422b9f2f2de5a54fa004d25092e2.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

As promised, up close and crusty. Matching rims, originally tan with a green pinstripe, relaxed to the hubs I'm using. The front nothing special, the rear an old Shimano 3CC coaster 3 speed.
75983fb5b815230112a082856fc47da3.jpg
e5114107a1613b7638e63b265eab6d4c.jpg

While riding Frankengravel a few days ago I got hypoglycemia, electrolyte imbalances and fatigue. I do my best thinking under these conditions. I formulated a business plan while riding. I opened a virtual tavern, the Yooper Quarantine Virtual Tavern and Restaurant. How it works is that we all video conference on Face Time and I only charge you $2.00 for each of your own drinks. For food you have to purchase one of my famous recepies, cook it yourself and eat it in front of all the other virtual tavern customers. The entrees start at $10.00 and include Chinese Tapas, Cajun Sushi, kosher burritos, lutfisk pizza, oyster and seaweed ice cream made from skunk milk and haggis. For those who seek a more refined culinary experience you can buy one of my $1,000,000 secret recepies, including roasted nettles in crank case oil, the clear camel pee soup and BBQ chipmunk on a bed of roasted collard greens. I had my grand opening of my virtual tavern last night and no one would pay me the $2.00 for one of their own drinks. I went out of business. I went for another ride today on Holey Spokes and came up with another brilliant idea. Tonight I'm putting a drink in each of our rooms and going on a pub crawl. This should be a more successful plan, but I haven't figured out how to make money from it yet.

While riding Frankengravel a few days ago I got hypoglycemia, electrolyte imbalances and fatigue. I do my best thinking under these conditions. I formulated a business plan while riding. I opened a virtual tavern, the Yooper Quarantine Virtual Tavern and Restaurant. How it works is that we all video conference on Face Time and I only charge you $2.00 for each of your own drinks. For food you have to purchase one of my famous recepies, cook it yourself and eat it in front of all the other virtual tavern customers. The entrees start at $10.00 and include Chinese Tapas, Cajun Sushi, kosher burritos, lutfisk pizza, oyster and seaweed ice cream made from skunk milk and haggis. For those who seek a more refined culinary experience you can buy one of my $1,000,000 secret recepies, including roasted nettles in crank case oil, the clear camel pee soup and BBQ chipmunk on a bed of roasted collard greens. I had my grand opening of my virtual tavern last night and no one would pay me the $2.00 for one of their own drinks. I went out of business. I went for another ride today on Holey Spokes and came up with another brilliant idea. Tonight I'm putting a drink in each of our rooms and going on a pub crawl. This should be a more successful plan, but I haven't figured out how to make money from it yet.
Genius :thumbsup:

Been living in NC for 20 years now. Seems hard to believe people still have snow at the end of March. It's 76 degrees outside right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It’s been the sixth warmest winter ever since they started keeping weather records. The ground never froze under the early heavy snow we got. The problem now is we have had no warm days and nights get down to the low 30s F. It’s good because it can help to keep the rivers from flooding. The unfrozen ground lets the melt water drain into the soil so that puddles are disappearing. But a thick layer of heavy slushy snow remains allowing only road or street biking in selected areas where the dark pavement has melted off. Unless we get a warm spell we are going to be snow bound for awhile.

LAST DAY TO POST YOUR FINAL PIC WITH THE WORDS "I'm done"

Carl.

Latest posts

Back