Stranded

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My title has a double meaning: I'm stranded here like so many of us, so I'm re-doing my 26er muscle bike into a strandie, which I will actually ride on occasion. I did not like riding the green and red muscle bike version.

IMG_2113.JPG

Last night, I spent a few hours tearing it down and adding the new parts (so much more fun than television.) I made good progress:
20200326_155527.jpg

Today I will try to add a three-piece crankset and hook up the shifter (complete with brown cable housing.) I'm starting to dig this social isolation! Please take good care of yourselves.

While I love my vintage rides, I’ve become very pro-strandie over the past year or so.

I try to keep mine simple, so it’s literally a ‘grab and go’ bike. Quite often, with my rat rod bikes, I have to tweak this or fiddle with that, before I can ride it. Not to mention strandies are typically a bit lighter without the fenders, tanks, racks, chainguards, etc. Using modern alloy bits like wheels, bars, seatposts, 3-piece cranksets also help in weight reduction.

So, build on brother, I’m digging the green and brick red color scheme too, kinda ‘beach-ie’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried two other chainwheel/crankset options before settling on this one, because the chain line is just right. Now it's geared way taller than I wanted. We'll see how it rides with the 3-speed Nexus; if it's not good, I have a nice big cog for the wheel. Added a front caliper brake with brown cable housing, but not enough brown housing for the shifter cable, so I ordered more. I'll use some of my $1200 relief check from the government for that. Wait . . . . I think I'll invest in toilet paper instead. The bell crank threads were stripped, so I need to go to my storage unit and dig out a better one. Cheap ergonomic grips match the housing, saddle and tires nicely.
IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG

So now I'm just waiting for the cable housing order and I need to dig out another bell crank.
Please take care of yourselves out there!

Last edited:
I got the three-speed all dialed in, but with that huge chainring, it was geared too high. I put a 22 tooth cog on the wheel and now it's just right. The brown cable housing came in, so I added that and nice metal housing clips. I also added some reflective decals to the top bar and head tube for a little safety and visual interest. I do believe it's done!
IMG_2270.JPG

I got the three-speed all dialed in, but with that huge chainring, it was geared too high. I put a 22 tooth cog on the wheel and now it's just right. The brown cable housing came in, so I added that and nice metal housing clips. I also added some reflective decals to the top bar and head tube for a little safety and visual interest. I do believe it's done!
View attachment 116552

Very nice! I’m starting a build on my first Strandie (didn’t even know the term until here recently).

Strandie is just a California specific term for a beach cruiser, the Strand is one of the boardwalks where they ride em. I guess there's a slight difference, you need the California vibe, and BMX parts don't hurt either. The trend wasn't the exclusively Californian though, companies like Jamis got in on the action with their Earth Cruiser.

I like those Snyder frames! I Is yours a Rollfast or Hawthorne? I did just about the same to mine, added a BMX style fork from an Earth Cruiser and then a 3 piece Sugino crank.
41706552_738019039876734_4277847934315266048_n.jpg

Sorry to chime in so late....but....NICE. I love the strandie concept. I am sure I will have to build one soon.
I am planning a muscle bike (although, I admit, I am not sure how comfortable it will be after all these years). Those handle bars are so cool! What is that style called?

Sorry to chime in so late....but....NICE. I love the strandie concept. I am sure I will have to build one soon.
I am planning a muscle bike (although, I admit, I am not sure how comfortable it will be after all these years). Those handle bars are so cool! What is that style called?
If you mean these bars ........

IMG_2266.JPG

You will typically see them listed as BMX specific and called "knee savers"

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear. I meant the pretzely-looking ape hangers. I think those would look cool on a muscle bike.. I don't remember those from my youth. Those bars might have been an only-in-America thing.

Latest posts

Back