Middleweight with lightweight wheels?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm looking around and taking inventory, getting ready to throw out some junk that'll never get used, including stripping down some bikes for parts and ditching the frames. I got this weird Frankenstein idea... wondering if it's been done and if anyone has pictures of it. I have a Murray beach cruiser frame, cantilever style, like a Schwinn Typhoon, but spaced for a derailleur drivetrain. I also have a girls' Collegiate that has been pretty well picked over for parts, but still has good 26 1 3/8 wheels/derailleur/shifter. So... lightweight wheels on a cruiser frame.

Has anybody put together something like this? Got any pics for inspiration? Looking for ideas on bars/saddle/style in general...

:39:
Matti sez:
"Not sure what to think of it all...
My first impression is a klunker that someone took the tires off. I bought a set of 26x1.75s for cheap last fall, then realized that's too skinny for me. They will probably wind up on one I'm restoring for my special lady friend."

Little voice in Matti's head:
"They look fast. And you have that nos cruiser frame. And tires."

Shoot. Looks like Matti is planning a new project.

Last edited:
I put skinny 26 x 1.50 tires on this old CWC, but it was way too heavy to make any difference, even aired up to 65psi.

2n208jl.jpg

Found it! Some of the pics are blurred but scroll down to see some good pics.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/street-skinny-cruiser-thread.22295/
NICE! I knew I had seen pics of bikes like that, but I don't think I ever realized there was a whole 20-page thread devoted to them. Tons of pics and ideas there!

:39:
Matti sez:
"Not sure what to think of it all...
My first impression is a klunker that someone took the tires off. I bought a set of 26x1.75s for cheap last fall, then realized that's too skinny for me. They will probably wind up on one I'm restoring for my special lady friend."

Little voice in Matti's head:
"They look fast. And you have that nos cruiser frame. And tires."

Shoot. Looks like Matti is planning a new project.

I know, right? When's the next build-off?

I have an early '70s AMF, it's basically a middleweight with factory lightweight wheels & fenders. More common are Schwinn lightweights with middleweight rims.
-Adam

Latest posts

Back