Coast to Coast Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
4C0E5360-73AA-405D-9E86-22B1BF3BFC51.jpeg
C44CDABE-BBEB-41DD-B802-64D1F112268B.jpeg

80FB2394-6E0A-4126-8E64-0C0A373D5DD1.jpeg

545C73A6-8E35-4F63-84A3-E716B5222CCE.jpeg

8A328BDD-A914-4D17-A10D-50681F98FFEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably had a kick-back brake of some sort, looks like he just made a homemade clamp-brake style mounting plate(2 plates, like a sandwich mount). Pretty smart for a quick fix :39:

So here’s the rear brake story.
I had this cool center pull dia-comp caliper that I wanted to use on this build but the frame bracket was the curved style with the hole in the wrong direction (for a brake caliper). It was perfect to mount the original rear fender. I also didn’t want to weld anything on the perfectly good Colson frame. It’s my first Colson and I haven’t ran across another since. So I made an L-shaped bracket that would bolt to the fender bracket and then provide a hole (in the other direction) for the brake caliper. Sounds easy, right?
Not so fast. With a center pull caliper, I needed a bracket to “end” the cable housing in, so I had to fashion that up in a way that I could bolt it on using the same fender bracket hole. Ok, done right? Nope.
When the brake was applied, it squealed like a ....well, it squealed bad. After some pondering and talking to another bike guy, figured that the metal brackets were flexing under the strain which allowed the brake pads to move. I then went back and added 2 support small brackets on the under side. These brackets were smaller than a dime and I’m using a stick welder so that was a tricky endeavor.
And finally, had the add a spacer so that the pads would press against the wheel instead of the sidewall.
It was the classic simple little thing that required way more hours than I figured it would. And that’s the rest of the story

Latest posts

Back