** Let's see your Bicycle Winter pic's **

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday. Another blizzard on the way for tonight.
IMG_1715.JPG

What is that white stuff ? So do you wear your snowmobile suit in it ?
The white stuff is very hard snow as it fell in a blizzard where it was above freezing and then it got below freezing so it is now between snow and ice. Right now when cycling I'm using knee length cycling pants, long sox so no leg is showing, gloves, snow board helmet, winter hiking boots, 3 poly long sleeve wind breaker shirts and a plaid flannel shirt. It's not cold yet, only in the 20s F so no real warm stuff needed yet. When it gets 0 to -20 for cycling I wear electric gloves inside handle bar hand shell wind breakers with 3 chemical hand warmer, electric sox, wind breaker pants over the knee length cycling shorts, a face mask and a medium weight jacket over all the shirts. I use removable over wrist sleeves with a thumb hole to keep my wrists warm. A snowmobile suit is too warm for cycling, even in -20F. When it is really cold you start out riding and get very cold but the exercise makes you hot and sweaty. I't hard to dress right for very cold riding. Too little and you have a hard time getting warmed up and too much and you warm up too much. I find it almost impossible to find the right balance for winter riding when it is -20F. I usually ride a few miles in these conditions as by then I am overheated then peel off layers after this warm up. You have to be careful of toes and hands. Sometimes my hands get so cold I can't shift because I can't feel the shifters. Grip shifts are better for winter riding as you can still make them work with numb hands. My Avatar selfie picture was taken 6 years ago on Thanksgiving Day. It was real cold so you can see that I have on a face mask, a snowboard helmet and the medium weight jacket zipped to the neck.

Sorry, no snow in eastern North Carolina so far this winter. Yay!
e2b660ec7110c5694918b504255745bf.jpg
1d261cf3e585d097c2985e573bd40b73.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back