Kristmas Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as we can hit some Harley bars on the ride, I'm in! :21: JK!

That sounds like a good time. Burning gas, and dodging cactus.

Steve, just checked out a couple of your builds.
Wild stuff! And quite the variety.

I couldn't decide which seat to use, so I used science: the eenie, meenie, mynie mo process, and this saddle won:
108140_9dccaef4bcc2c72aef4cec2e84822b4e.jpg

I did some patching and applied MANY coats of red vinyl spray. I'll clean up and polish a sissy bar and put it all together next week.
IMG_1892 (2).jpg

Seat looks awesome! I've never used a 'vinyl spray' before. Do you have a brand reference or photo of the can you can post, SD?

It's Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric specialty coating. I've used their black before. I have to admit that it rubs off a bit with use. We'll see how the red works.
IMG_1897 (2).jpg

I could call it finished now, but I'm still ruminating about:
- a taillight
- a fender or two
- a more "Schwinn-like" chainwheel, and
- a big ol' shifter mounted to the lower top bar
I'm gonna sit back and think for a few days.

Last edited:
This thing has Merry Kristmas Krate written all over it! Unless of course, you actually write the name on some sort of a tank insert....then it literally would! :D

I like the shifter on the lower top tube idea. What would be really cool: red rear tail light and get some spray paint like @kingfish254 used on his headlight this summer; only in a green color instead and paint the lens on a front head light!

I like the way the red tires stand out. The front fork is very cool as well and a fender would maybe detract from that.

I agree. I won't add a front fender. I forgot to mention that I made the front fork with parts from a mangled Monark clone and a chrome mountain bike fork. I'll scour my shop today for shifter parts, and see what I can come up with.

Yeah, what Jude said. So stealth and clean, looked like they were made that way.

While I really like the simple shifter I have on the seat post, I have to admit it isn't very "muscle-bike" like:
20191201_144632.jpg

So I fashioned a stick shift out of a two-piece quill stem, a twist shifter, a U-bolt, an automotive shift knob, some nuts and washers. It works like a charm.
20191201_115157.jpg

20191201_115328.jpg

SD, that shifter looks slicker'n all get out! Got any step-by-step you can add to your shifter construction tech? Very inventive. Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Next up; a rear fender. It may require some drilling, cutting and bending, but I think it will be a good look. Check out the fin on this thing!
IMG_2008 (2).jpg

IMG_2010 (2).jpg

I'll try to steal some time this week to get the fender fitted. After that, I have a cool little bullet taillight that I'll have peeking out from under the seat. After that, I'll be done. (Yeah, right . . . like they're ever really done.)

Love the shifter! I have always wanted to try homebrewing a bike stick shift using parts from a car shifter...

I got the fender on. I'm happy with it. Dig that fin!
20191202_171234.jpg

20191202_172806.jpg

I usually like to build a spare, stripped-down, purposeful bike, but I must admit I'm enjoying dressing this thing up. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just need to add vintage, jewel side reflectors, a bullet taillight and some cool valve caps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back