Long BMXXX DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a third of the way through fluffing up the build...
73f56eb7b9638e267d363652fc9d4043.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk
Geez, first it was birds in the summer build off. Now it's stuffed animals for the winter build off?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Geez, first it was birds in the summer build off. Now it's stuffed animals for the winter build off?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ah that was 9 posts ago.
It's all different now.
Birds?

Carl.

Parrots, crows, some builds in the last BO had em. Duck Norris was a little miffed about the cultural appropriation, but remains stoic.

Note the brake cable in above pic...
First I got it goin' then I get it stoppin'
Time for the black wash, back to plan A

Carl.

What are these little guys called? Axle alignment & chain tension adjusters? There's a lot going on in that second picture of the rear hub. You can see the adjusters in use and note the washers just on the inside of the frame dropouts. Those slots had been enlarged for the last hub/axle so here I needed to use a set of these odd washers with a raised inside area to fill in the bigger slot. They almost were in the way of the adjusters fitting on the dropout tips but I took out a pair of links in the chain and it all worked out like it was made to.
3a62919fe60190a79280fd410e1c9659.jpg
IMG_20191110_185655633.jpg

Carl.

Yeah it rolls good and since nobody has even mentioned any of the names I've been renaming it every day or so, I might as well go with the name I've been using on Instagram for a month. Mean Streak is here to stay. Or is it?

Carl.
e0dcb855be265f63c9e598cbe58b403a.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at TRM's build in the Muscle Bike Section has me wondering what the chrome springer I have would look like on Mean Streak. It's not a bent springer but it is a Schwinn style springer in chrome. Might play off the chrome seat post well too. I gotta be careful. Too much chrome and this thing will jump forums and turn into a Muscle Bike.

Carl.

20x2.35 on the rear 20x1.75 up front 14x46 on the gears, just a bit stout on an incline, may try a 42t. The 16t on the black mags wasn't right either. I'm still on the hunt for the ride all day single speed combo...
5960c4d329edb550b70a347af7ee65c6.jpg

Your gear ratios blow my mind. I'd love to cruise with your crew, see your pace.
For the readers following at home, standard BMX ratio is about 2x+2, so for the 14t sproket, a 30t crank would be pretty normal. Nothing standard, or normal about Carl's builds... I doubt that bike will be doing many wheelies, regardless of the gears!

Your gear ratios blow my mind. I'd love to cruise with your crew, see your pace.
For the readers following at home, standard BMX ratio is about 2x+2, so for the 14t sproket, a 30t crank would be pretty normal. Nothing standard, or normal about Carl's builds... I doubt that bike will be doing many wheelies, regardless of the gears!
It's got street tread on it and it'll most assuredly be on pavement 90% of the time, oh it might hit a speed bump or two but when I roll with The Chicago Taildraggers we're cruisin' the city and tall gears keep up easier for me. Note I may drop down to a 42t sprocket which would be a 3x ratio if I can find one in the stash...

Carl.

Last edited:
I've been watching your 'long' name changes the whole build...when I saw 'mean streak', I had a 'what the hay!' moment :nod:
:headbang:
The 'magic ratio' for bmx is 2.75:1...the ubiquitous 44/16.
Ah this just looks vaguely like a BMX. I do have a 39t sprocket that would put my ratio at 2.79:1 But it's really a cruiser and I'll be trying to keep up with 26" cruisers... It will probably end up with a larger wheel in the back with dropouts above the frame and multi-speeds, after it's "finished" here.

Carl.

Last edited:
New drivetrain 39t x 14t = 2.79 ratio.
I like it, rides easy. Should be good for the upcoming Zoolights ride in Chicago on Dec 7th we'll see. I may have tore back into it before then. But for now...

It's DONE and ...
I'm taking the name back you'll see why later. Return of the Long BMXXX
bde2123483cd33e74d44ac25f5e6a260.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
Long BMXXX parts list:
Frame tubing - KMart AllPro, Sears, with bits of Huffy (rear dropouts), Elgin and Columbia, with expanded steel mesh and 3/8ths steel rod from Menards.
AllPro crank with a 39t Three Arrows sprocket and unknown alloy pedals.
Huffy "bent landing gear" 26" fork with a Profile Design threadless conversion stem and a Mongoose clamp mounting a 31"wide by 16"tall set of handle bars with a Tektro brake and Electra gel grips. Wheels are Mongoose alloy mags with a 20 x 2.35" mongoose tire in the rear with a 14t freewheel cog and a 20 x 1.75" Ornate tire in front. A Bontrager saddle is mounted to a chrome "gas filler" seatpost of unknown origin.
The frame dimensions include a 26" top tube, 12" seat tube and 24" chain stays. The axle to axle length of the Long BMXXX is 58" and overall length is 79"
My original idea to build a long BMX frame from a tall ten speed frame was only partially realized. I did use a ten speed frame but I also added more tubing from additional bikes. If I were going to ride BMX with this bike, it would need a front brake but I didn't want to weld on the fork just yet and I'm sure it wouldn't handle well on any tight trails anyway. But it does cruise nice, it really is a cruiser with old school BMX style. Dialing in the gear ratio made a big difference. If 44t x 16t is the magic ratio for BMX riding, it's close at 39t x 14t, just a bit taller. I hope you all enjoyed the build, I'm holding one more surprise back. See you at the finish line.

4095145199212c80fc97ad003ff34529.jpg
e5ff351da3f480629e06e7967d25b60b.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back