Schwinn Canti-Klunk!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Found a house paint rust fest of a Cruiser, I'm looking to turn to the Klunker Side.

As Found...

index.php

076f30aa5da3b0dbfead7893f9507c06.jpg

40531485c403447562ffffdfa85c596e.jpg

c6d9c10b7282f08ec6ff1dbd7fafef99.jpg

Last edited:
How much work/specialty tools were required on the hone? Can it be done on a standard drill press? I have an integrated headset, need a place to put it!

How much work/specialty tools were required on the hone? Can it be done on a standard drill press? I have an integrated headset, need a place to put it!

My method was very Neanderthal, some grinding and some sanding and some hammering... I'll post a pic with the tools I used. BUT, from what I read on the interweb, you SHOULD have it done at a bike shop with the proper tools, that is if you want it done right... The problem comes into play that you are taking away a lot of material here, like 2mm, so some shops won't touch it, and it's not a common hone diameter. I think Atomic Cycles out of SFV, Ca makes an easy install version for about $55, the Retro Ryder: http://www.atomiccycles.com/

The flapwheel is the final diameter you needed for the headset to fit? A little grinding with the burr, and polish it up with the flappers?

This could open up some fork options for my Hardrock...

The Flapper is close, just a bit bigger (got these at Grainger.com) - I needed 34mm and the flapper is 1-3/8" or 34.9mm, just kept measuring it. The rough grinding was done with the cone and drumel wheel, but I broke three of the flappers clean off at the attached shaft, my Milwaukee was too torquie and it's a tight fit. I went about 34.5mm and took the anodizing off the bearing cones to make them a bit smaller - then it was hammer time. Not the best method, but it worked.

Cool bike. I have an old canti frame, that I'm planning to build a not so accurate jumbo Scrambler replica out of. Really like the somewhat modern(80's up) moto bar bends.

Latest posts

Back