Automotive Paint without a gun or compressor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Let's face it, even the best rattle can paint comes no where close to actual automotive paint in terms of durability and color options. But without some equipment for spraying it, we're left with few choices.

Not too long ago I had a project painting the ARMY roundel insignias on a Vietnam era Huey Helicopter. Being located on the tarmac away from any hangers required that I would have to paint without the luxury of an air compressor.
100_7030.JPG

I had color codes for exact colors and needed to use automotive paint for duability so off the shelf rattle cans where not an option. While discussing my situation at one of the local automotive paint supply stores I discovered the solution. a Preval Sprayer. Here's one at Home Depot.
IMG_1133.JPG

It was not a large surface area so the little sprayer worked ok. But a bicycle would be even more manageable.
IMG_1120.JPG

Being automotive paint the drying time was quick enough that masking over the fresh paint the following day was no problem.
I layed up a light tack coat first and followed with several more coats for a smooth even finish.
IMG_1131.JPG

After painting clean up was easy in the glass bottle.
IMG_1137.JPG

So my final thoughts were that even though it's not a great substitute for a real paint gun and compressed air, it's manageble for getting the job done!
IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

That option looks pretty neat.

Was just looking at econo HVLP spray guns a couple of days ago. About forty bucks or so.

I really want to spray Imron or something similarly durable on my next keeper bike. And have been going over a couple of ideas for a small temporary/convertible booth setup with a high powered filtered exhaust fan.

I used those for Major Taylor. Worked great for the basecoat, but the holes in the nozzle were way too big for the clearcoat, causing terrible orange peel. After careful wet sanding accompanied by much swearing like an adult version of the Seven Dwarves' work song to avoid damaging the pinstriping and decals, I ended up having a shop redo the clear for cheap enough that I wish I had them do the clear in the first place.

I would definitely use them again for anything but clearcoat (though my new house has an air compressor, so I don't need to).

I use one of these with my rattle cans, wonder if it will fit the adapter vessel.
969f1ecc5592aa132efe1e028cbd332f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought it was fair to point out that there is another alternative--the Jacquard YouCAN. This gadget has a slightly steeper start-up cost than the Preval, but it doesn't require the repeated purchase of proprietary canisters; the Jacquard can be re-charged with a tire pump. You all have bicycle pumps, don't you?

As an added bonus, replacement spray caps are available in various patterns because this product is targeted at the art community.

https://vimeo.com/jacquardproducts/youcan

jyc-102.jpg

Thought it was fair to point out that there is another alternative--the Jacquard YouCAN. This gadget has a slightly steeper start-up cost than the Preval, but it doesn't require the repeated purchase of proprietary canisters; the Jacquard can be re-charged with a tire pump. You all have bicycle pumps, don't you?

As an added bonus, replacement spray caps are available in various patterns because this product is targeted at the art community.

https://vimeo.com/jacquardproducts/youcan

jyc-102.jpg
Never heard of these and I was looking for something more along these lines!

I believe duplicolor or PPG has automotive paint in a spraycan, too.

Latest posts

Back