1968 Schwinn Sting Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got this bike off another forum member on here. He said it was a '68 and he got it from the original owner. Looking at it more closely it seems like a lot of the original parts have been replaced with incorrect, off-brand parts.

index.php

The sissy bar doesn't look right and the cranks look like something off an eighties BMX bike.

index.php

Non-Schwinn derailleur.

index.php

I know this shifter is wrong.

index.php

index.php

Never heard of an 11-Speed '68 Sting Ray....definitely not original.

Seat's not white like a '68 should be...looks homemade.

index.php

Oh well....it rides nice and Schwinn parts are too expensive....guess it will have to stay like this for a while.

Love the foundation you have there. You could make it like a bazillion other rays or build on what you have and what you have is pretty awesome my opinion.

Must be weird to be on an old banana bike that shifts solid and stops well. Whoever made it was a rider

Purple was a Sears Spyder color. I like Spyders, but I wouldn't want my Stingray to look like one.

That sissy bar looks like a Columbia that was extended and shocks put on it. Does it work? As in having the spring ride. Disc brakes front and back is really cool. Unless you paid big money for original I think you did good. I would leave it as is and ride it hard.

Was wondering where I had seen that sissy before. Yes the shocks work. Seat has gel in it too so at least it's comfy. There is part of a Schwinn sissy at the bottom.

index.php

Repop clamp...didn't even try to find a q-bolt.

index.php

Purple was a Sears Spyder color. I like Spyders, but I wouldn't want my Stingray to look like one.

Exactly....must have thought it was violet...not even close...:rolleyes:

Wow, no love around here! If the OP doesn't like it, why'd he buy it? Must've been affordable.

Say what you will about the violet anodized parts but the 11 speed, lightweight alloy wheels and dual hydraulic disc brakes on a stingray must make a nice rider. That seat is off a "99-'00 Grape Krate and worth some coin, too.

Wow, no love around here! If the OP doesn't like it, why'd he buy it? Must've been affordable.

Say what you will about the violet anodized parts but the 11 speed, lightweight alloy wheels and dual hydraulic disc brakes on a stingray must make a nice rider. That seat is off a "99-'00 Grape Krate and worth some coin, too.

Hey Sam I've been meaning to ask you if you were on an Audi mailing list that I subscribe to. 200 20v? or UrS4?

Hey Sam I've been meaning to ask you if you were on an Audi mailing list that I subscribe to. 200 20v? or UrS4?

No, afraid that's not me. Must just be a popular username, haha! I chose it back when I had a 1960 bus...
Hope you enjoy the bike! I didn't mean any offense, just pointing out that someone went to a lot of work on this hotrod restomod and didn't think y'all got that/appreciated that...

Latest posts

Back