A Visit to the Dumpster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made my post-weekend trip past the community dumpster, mostly in search of leather scraps for saddles and other little baubles. That's when my eye catches a glimpse of this clapped out piece of trash.

WAIT... Is that a roller brake? And, a Nexus hub? Oh, hail yes! The bicycle deities are pleased with the sacrifice.

IMG_20190820_085914.jpg

Last edited:
You guys nailed it! When I finally got around to examining the carcass, I quickly realized that every fastener on it requires a security bit...no real biggie. Following a little research, I concluded that this bike was once part of the fleet fielded by Chinese company Ofo. They have since withdrawn from all foreign markets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofo_(company)

If it wasn't so beat, I might have been tempted to save it as an orphaned unicorn--I expect most of these went straight to scrap. Oh...and by the way, that front hub is a dynamo hub!

Last edited:
You guys nailed it! When I finally got around to examining the carcass, I quickly realized that every fastener on it requires a security bit...no real biggie. Following a little research, I concluded that this bike was once part of the fleet fielded by Chinese company Ofo. They have since withdrawn from all foreign markets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofo_(company)

If it wasn't so beat, I might have been tempted to save it as an orphaned unicorn--I expect most of these went straight to scrap. Oh...and by the way, that front hub is a dynamo hub!

Those are great wheels, and used in many rental bikes. I traded some old BMX parts for my set:
69102614_2245143625597606_329486294398795776_n.jpg
68684547_2245143598930942_2061421033193209856_n.jpg

I run those wheels on my daily cruiser, put together on a '69 ZZR model 0242 Karlik.
68630468_2245143572264278_6593351944180334592_n.jpg

Those hubs are totally awesome! And don't follow the instructions while using them. :whistle:

Those brakes work with V-Brake handles (although the original Shimano instructions state that they only work with Cantilever type handles), and you can use almost any gear configuration (instruction insists on using a 38T crankset and a 20T rear sprocket, I'm running a 46T crankset and a 16T sprocket, and after 3 years of riding the bike it still works like a dream. Also it's super fast on that configuration).

Also as you may noticed I'm not using the original shifter (i hate gripshifters) but rather a non indexed shifter from a racing bicycle. It works perfectly - i just had to make a marking on it witch a marker to know where the second gear is. :21:

They are selling the rental bikes with Nexus goodies in my area too. I may buy one and transfer the Nexus stuff to my beach cruiser.
Thats not near as good as getting one for free.

Latest posts

Back