Western Flyer Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to cleanup and try out the old wheels that came with.
c68b0451048be45b2e053e8df471f754.jpg
e7a596884c8d1273e72c8d04ded0c41b.jpg

The front looks good. Clean, grease, paint, tire.
b2c9cb8c4c33dcbdaaf01ea28ebc5358.jpg
4686ee0164ca835472f0918659963eef.jpg

The back has a bendix but sort of a mess. Rust and rubber needs stripped off. Anyone has suggestions to 60 year old glued rubber or electrical tape off?
I am thinking a heat gun and adhesive remover after.

I did a set of rusty wheels this spring that were worse. I degutted the hubs and soaked the wheels in the cheapest vinegar I could find using a plastic sled. Mine had 3 coats of different ugly house paint. I used a hand held wire brush and got the rust off but some of the paint stayed, good enough. I treated the former rust with Ospho and then put on a coat of Penetrol. They won't rust much again but the spoke nipples will never turn again. I gouged out the rubber with screwdrivers and drill operated wire brush and just put new rim strips over the small amount of remaining rubber. My wheels will be only used once a year for a classic bike ride for one of my wife's lady friends so I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it.

Great to see bikes pop back up from zombieland with the extended build time we have this year.

Barry 1.jpg
Unfortunately Barry, the builder of this bike known here as "Yooperman" and my only sibling, suddenly passed away in his sleep last Thursday a mere ten days after his last post in this thread. Barry was a Civil Engineer by trade, wonderful husband and Brother and a life long bicycle enthusiast who reintroduced me to bikes after a 10 year hiatus.
I will complete this build in his memory at a future date .

View attachment 105895 Unfortunately Barry, the builder of this bike known here as "Yooperman" and my only sibling, suddenly passed away in his sleep last Thursday a mere ten days after his last post in this thread. Barry was a Civil Engineer by trade, wonderful husband and Brother and a life long bicycle enthusiast who reintroduced me to bikes after a 10 year hiatus.
Sorry to read this. My condolences to you and the family.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

View attachment 105895 Unfortunately Barry, the builder of this bike known here as "Yooperman" and my only sibling, suddenly passed away in his sleep last Thursday a mere ten days after his last post in this thread. Barry was a Civil Engineer by trade, wonderful husband and Brother and a life long bicycle enthusiast who reintroduced me to bikes after a 10 year hiatus.

I did two Mackinaw Island Classic Bike Rides with the Yooperman. I enjoyed his company and we had quite a conversation at the show following the ride this June. I'm so saddened by your loss. He is the one who let me know that the date changed this year from the fall to spring for the Mackinaw Island ride. I would have missed it but he sent me a note on this forum to let me know it changed. Such a nice gesture. He made friends there at the ride and we had a good time at the after glow. He was a real nice guy, I could easily tell.

That is very very sad news. May God Bless your family. I always admired yooper's clean builds and his input to the forum. We have lost a good bike friend, but we are truly saddened for your loss of a brother and friend. Please give the family our heartfelt condolences and let them know how much we enjoyed Barry's contributions to our little world.

my condolences to you and the family.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Exactly 2 weeks ago Barry called me while he was on lunch break. Just a brief chat between brothers, then he had to go back to work. Little did either one of us know this would be our last conversation...
I will miss him forever.
Barry on Mac island 2017.jpg

Latest posts

Back