Impacted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a late 80's/early 90's Schwinn Impact, so I figured I'd try this buildoff thing.

The paint and frame are in really good shape, so the only change there will be getting rid of the "cool" graphics.

Ordered the parts today for the drivetrain. The derailleur spring was shot, so I'm going to try a dinglespeed.

After that's straight, I'll figure out the rest.
20190701_160758.jpg

Great candidate for a rough and tumble single speed mtb! Welcome to the build off, and... RaT oN~!

Never heard of a "dinglespeed". :D
Dingleberry would be a fun name for the build/

Never heard of a "dinglespeed". :D
Dingleberry would be a fun

Hopefully when I'm finished it doesn't look like it should be called dingleberry. :( I did think about Dirt Dingler

Ever since I saw a dinglespeed a few years back I've wanted to try it. A little versatility with singlespeed reliability. You know two ways to be in the wrong gear. ;)

What?! What could someone even get for it? Sorry to hear that. I really hate bike thieves. I know that's not exactly a controversial declaration, but it never hurts to state it again.

What?! What could someone even get for it? Sorry to hear that. I really hate bike thieves. I know that's not exactly a controversial declaration, but it never hurts to state it again.

Yea, when I filed the report with the police they asked me a couple of times about value. I guess they wanted me to say more. Thankfully, I had the expensive bikes with me on vacation.

Bike thieves do suck, especially because they have no appreciation of what they stole. I know they have no idea how to change the gears.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's probably an addict hocking it to whoever buys it for basically scrap value just so they can get high that day. I think that's what almost bothers me the most—you put all this effort into making something and it's not worth much of anything monetarily, but it's worth something personally. It's highly likely the thief isn't even going to use it, that it's just going to be scrapped for pennies and that waste bothers me more than if they were going to use it. I wouldn't be OK with that, either, but at least it would still exist and be useful. If I knew someone who needed a bike to get around, I'd give them one of mine (of course, most of them are too weird to be utility bikes, but that's beside the point). I tell people to feel free to take my bikes or kayaks out (even though they never do) and if they get scratched or dented, then so be it—price of use and that's what I made them for. But to have them just be wasted really bothers me. It's not even like the thief is going to pay off a semester of college or anything with it, it'll just be a couple dollars going into the pockets of scumbags to no good effect.

Yeah, it's probably an addict hocking it to whoever buys it for basically scrap value just so they can get high that day. I think that's what almost bothers me the most—you put all this effort into making something and it's not worth much of anything monetarily, but it's worth something personally. It's highly likely the thief isn't even going to use it, that it's just going to be scrapped for pennies and that waste bothers me more than if they were going to use it. I wouldn't be OK with that, either, but at least it would still exist and be useful. If I knew someone who needed a bike to get around, I'd give them one of mine (of course, most of them are too weird to be utility bikes, but that's beside the point). I tell people to feel free to take my bikes or kayaks out (even though they never do) and if they get scratched or dented, then so be it—price of use and that's what I made them for. But to have them just be wasted really bothers me. It's not even like the thief is going to pay off a semester of college or anything with it, it'll just be a couple dollars going into the pockets of scumbags to no good effect.

Well said, and I agree. Matter of fact, there was a young guy on a landscaping crew working on my neighbor's house who needed transportation. I put new cables on a bike that I wasn't using, and gave it to him. He gets to work, and I get to see another person on a bike and a bike being used instead of being wasted.

Lot of low life POS folks out there, theft sucks in so many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back