"Helen Wheels" : ...Farewell, Good Summer...pg 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good!
The grips are throwing me off a little though. The green is too far off from everything else. Maybe it's just the photos making it that way. But I'm thinking black might blend in better. (Just an opinion.)

Looking good!
The grips are throwing me off a little though. The green is too far off from everything else. Maybe it's just the photos making it that way. But I'm thinking black might blend in better. (Just an opinion.)
The only reason they are on there right now, is they are part of the previous customizing done by whomever had the bike before our family 'inherited' it. Yeah, I'm thinking some replacements are in order. Might hit the 'search' button this evening. ;)

The only reason they are on there right now, is they are part of the previous customizing done by whomever had the bike before our family 'inherited' it. Yeah, I'm thinking some replacements are in order. Might hit the 'search' button this evening. ;)

I sort of agree, but on account of how well those grips cleaned up, I also think it would be a shame to not have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang OJ this little beauty is looking sharp! Did you ride it to get those pics? Gotta get a vid of that if you did...:D

I was gonna post up that same vid but you beat me to it. Love McCartney and Wings but seems like there was one of these songs on each album that just sticks in your head. As soon as I see this thread title I hear that song for at least an hour. Uncle Albert is another one that has staying power like that.

Wicked triple fade paint job!!!!! Well done!
Nice detective work @RustyGold !!

I sort of agree, but on account of how well those grips cleaned up, I also think it would be a shame to not have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks SGOH, I was really happy with the clean up result, and they add a bit of nostalgia to this build. I'm about as nostalgic as they get! :D

I did find about 3 pr of grips on the 'bay last night. All of which might look good.

Dang OJ this little beauty is looking sharp! Did you ride it to get those pics? Gotta get a vid of that if you did...:D

I was gonna post up that same vid but you beat me to it. Love McCartney and Wings but seems like there was one of these songs on each album that just sticks in your head. As soon as I see this thread title I hear that song for at least an hour. Uncle Albert is another one that has staying power like that.
Chad, you know me....I always ride all of my bikes! ;)

I will have to get a vid of me riding this. I'm always amazed at how 'stout' these 20" muscle bikes are. My 200+ lb frame can stand up and pedal, and they barley twitch. Even these old wheels; not a creak or 'boinggg' from the spokes.

It's till in the works, the rims are pretty bad. My patented white vinegar and steel wool didn't even dent the rust / wear on the front rim. And the back rim, the chrome is flaking off in chunks. Also have to decide if I'm going to use the chain guard that came with it (after market, but pretty cool) and if it will be chrome or painted (fade) to match the frame.

All suggestions on any of the above are welcomed with open arms! :nod::wink1:

Wicked triple fade paint job!!!!! Well done!
Nice detective work @RustyGold !!
Yeah Rusty G to the rescue! Thanks Royal Ichthus, I appreciate that coming from one of the 'Top Rats' in the cage!

I applied some car wax to the paint last night before the photos. Want to get it to shine as much as possible, but still retain that 'old car' paint look.

It's a little late but I wonder if you could find some material for the seat that would better match the grips. If so, you might not have to give up the sentimental connection with them.:39:
index.php

It's a little late but I wonder if you could find some material for the seat that would better match the grips. If so, you might not have to give up the sentimental connection with them.:39:
index.php
I really like the seat material, it reminds me of Helen's upholstery in the Torino. I have a couple grips on the way, we shall see how they match up.

If I pull these for different ones, I'll make use of them as decor / nostalgia in the BACK40.

maybe a fourth shade of green on a chain guard?
I'm going to experiment with my fading the Emerald green into the Hunter green on the chain guard that was on the bike. See if I can pull that off.

To do the tri-color fade, did you work from one end to the other, or paint each end and then the middle?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To do the tri-color fade, did you work from one end to the other, or paint each end and then the middle?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Handy, I wanted the middle (Emerald green) to be the main color and the others to 'fade into' that main color. I looked at a few bike fade paint jobs, tri-color ones, and they all appeared to fade from front to middle, and rear to middle.

So I first sprayed most of the bike, for sure beyond where the fades would end, Emerald green the middle color. Then started at the leading edge of the forks and head tube with the Grass green and worked my way back; getting a lighter mist by pulling the paint can away in a sweeping stroke across my body to finish.

Then I started at the back of the rear triangle / dropouts with the Hunter green and worked my way toward the seat post. Most tri-fades I found on bikes had less of the rear color overall, because it was also the darkest tone.

I also have always painted my bike frames by starting with the bottom up, painting the underside and whatever I can reach first with the bike in the stand upside down. This developed when I was using more of a rust patina on the top of the tubes for my RaT-ina, which would be the last thing added on the job.

On the chain guard, because of where it is placed on the bike, I only used two colors. I sprayed the whole guard the main Emerald color and then lightly added the Hunter green to the back 1/3 or less.

Nice work on the guard and rim OJ.

Latest posts

Back