LaidBack - TransWorld Motobike Rat - Patinafication & Details - 85 Years

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice basket but don't think it works with the bag at all. Like the bag better because of how well it matches the tires. I say ditch the basket and maybe some nice thin wood slats on top of that rack?
Perhaps a properly aged shallow wooden box?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Perhaps a properly aged shallow wooden box?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That would work. Thanks!
If the the bag is the issue, try mounting it in the basket or on the back and move the basket forward some.
Personally it doesn't bug me where it is (but that's just one opinion).
The bag would be hard to access with the basket on the rack. Don’t think I’d want to mount it in the basket although that would solve the accessibility.
I probably won’t ride this bike a whole lot, I’d like to take it to some shows and eventually find it a new home.

I still have a funky steering knob to experiment with and the build off tag needs a home location. To be decided.
Thanks for the input and I appreciate those choosing to view the progress, comment and click “like”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Extra points for no patina on parrot or handlebars. No matter how patinaed the bike would be due to survival. If I cared enough to give it a home and repair what was needed, something would get an upgrade. In this case the bars. On that logic the bling grip ends and parrot make sense to me. And if the bike doesn’t reflect your personal likes, it may as well be a professionally built version, rather than the amazing range of options appearing each year, by so many different and talented builders of all types.

Extra points for no patina on parrot or handlebars. No matter how patinaed the bike would be due to survival. If I cared enough to give it a home and repair what was needed, something would get an upgrade. In this case the bars. On that logic the bling grip ends and parrot make sense to me. And if the bike doesn’t reflect your personal likes, it may as well be a professionally built version, rather than the amazing range of options appearing each year, by so many different and talented builders of all types.
Thank you Kroozerdave from “Up” here. We must think alike, I’m in agreement with your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A diversion project, Raleigh Preston
edc4b703860b5bf8d5f14f44a5bd42f4.jpg

2fc7116c65547a802f7376099febceeb.jpg

Bicycling magazine reviewed these a couple of years ago. I finally saw one in Galveston over the 4th weekend. Did a little research found them online at a reduced price. Ordered one on the 10th, it arrived on the 12th. Pretty sweet rider.
Also visited Clyde James Cycles in the Metroplex. Got to meet Clyde and see the VW bug bike.
71978ebd405ea8da35177a7f708c6f00.jpg

Last edited:
At this point I think I’m leaving the basket off the TransWorld Motobike. I have a couple other items that I’ve had a while.
One is an old suicide steering knob. My Build Bike from two years ago had one.
8183a34ad9ff9d6957ac26d808608ab1.jpg
c686309e2850a32f730675365037e211.jpg

The other is a glass jar with a holder bracket. Problem is it was used for windshield washer fluid. Probably wouldn’t want to drink out of it but could be visually repurposed as a water bottle.
fb103461b14a06c75d63e61d4b23e894.jpg
e17410dd962cc1930cb27133396e5156.jpg
7340dbdec43d11c19a7f097fcd80abe4.jpg

Went to a monthly flea market last weekend. Saw one old military type canteen from 20’s. I passed on it as it was pretty pricey. Do have a couple of the collapsible drinking cups with bicycle on top.

That glass bottle is cool. Alcohol would probably kill anything that 's harmful left in that glass; if it's strong enough. :grin:
Not knowing what’s actually been in it I think I’ll pass on drinking out of it. Still tinkering with a visual location for it. It’s been too hot here to do much outside unless you get at it early.
5056a11be2c1c430dd76543597fd77a5.jpg

I usually end up putting too many doodads on my bikes anyway. KISS maybe the best approach on this one.

I think you need a cup holder so you can take one of those delicious-looking tiki drinks on the road with you.

SoulGarage might be on to something! Not this build, but I could see a "Tiki Bike" build in your future @MazdaFlyer ! In fact, you better save that parrot for that build. :D
Seriously, make it a beach cruiser style; fat tires, multiple cup holders (with drinks), ape hangers (with parrot), big ol' comfort saddle, flat wood fenders, grass skirts for the rear wheel (woven reeds?). :cool2:

SoulGarage might be on to something! Not this build, but I could see a "Tiki Bike" build in your future @MazdaFlyer ! In fact, you better save that parrot for that build. :D
Seriously, make it a beach cruiser style; fat tires, multiple cup holders (with drinks), ape hangers (with parrot), big ol' comfort saddle, flat wood fenders, grass skirts for the rear wheel (woven reeds?). :cool2:

OJ, it sounds like maybe you should build that bike. Those are some great ideas.

I think you need a cup holder so you can take one of those delicious-looking tiki drinks on the road with you.
We were in TX over July 4th weekend and visited several bike shops. They all had those coconut tiki style drink holders. I thought about getting one but decided they didn’t fit the vibe of the TransWorld Motobike. Good idea though.
I did spring for these “Red Cup” doodads though. They won’t go on this build bike either.
18d879420014fd114e46ccd422f3f3a4.jpg
Stuff for the future...
Yes that sounds like a whole “nother” project. See my comment above.
Parrots are cheap. The current parrot [emoji3079] is a rat [emoji232] parrot.
b3a109655d723ca9b8754030fb73de4e.jpg

OJ, it sounds like maybe you should build that bike. Those are some great ideas.
I think SoulGarageOH is on the money.

Also went to a Tiki bar in Houston, the Lei Low, my son had found it. He’s into making Tiki drinks. The Tiki thing seems to be a thing. Folks are converting old campers into Tiki Huts. Restaurants and bars have Tiki style drinks on their menus. There are some Tiki style bikes out there. There is even a Hillbilly Hotrod Hukilau gathering in Pleasant Hill, MO this weekend.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1037925649745300/?ti=ia

Last edited:
You guys have inspired me, and I believe I may have the perfect idea for that Tiki build! :nerd: Look out BO #15!

We stopped in at one of our favorite places in the birthplace of Minnesota, Stillwater on Saturday. Hit the "Tilted Tiki" which is a little bar (mostly patio / outdoor seating) right on the main drag.
They have a stage and my little duo, HIGWOOD, hopes to be playing there soon.

My wife, ever style conscious, somehow managed to order a drink that had a garnish (Orchid) in it that matched her top. :bigsmile:

67278071_391875108344856_1753048639107760128_n.jpg

... and a bar rail, and a shaker, and a blender and a supply of miniature umbrellas and....

Whole new genre OJ, “TikiBikes.Com”. Better buy up the URL quick.

Latest posts

Back