'68 Sting Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeeze Louise this Rat is lovely!!

Thanks Jake!

Got the chain ring and tried it on the cranks.

ring1.jpg

didn't like that so did this.

ring2.jpg

ring3.jpg

ring4.jpg

Not bad with the whole bike butt might be a little too pretty? Didn't get a chance to see the black ring with the bike but can still flip it.

Or could do what I usually do with these Chinese bootleg narrow wide rings. strip + sand.

ring2.jpg

I'm thinking the strip and sand would look good with your other parts spec. But, I must say, stellar work on that chain ring border. :inlove:

I'm thinking the strip and sand would look good with your other parts spec.

Yeah will most likely end up going that route. Decided to try the black on the bike just to see. Kind of like it. Has more of a "MAG" look to it...:39:

ring5.jpg

ring6.jpg

ring7.jpg

But, I must say, stellar work on that chain ring border. :inlove:

Thanks! Always wanted to try that with one of these rings. Cheated a little with a 600 grit disc on the buffer....looks nice but it's just too dang fancy...:p

I really like this version. Black seems too flat and stripped seems too shiny, idk.

I like it too just not sure about it on this bike. I think the stripped will look good with the guard. Like these 2.

ring8.jpg

This will be a little different with the 3 pc cranks. Hoping the polished border with the rough finish inside the recess areas will go good with the arabesque pattern on the cranks. Gonna break out the Easy Off on the ring tomorrow.

Cool.
I remember : when you built that bicycle.. your boy,
Was jumping a ramp on it :grin:

YEE-HAA ! :thumbsup:

That build off was such a great time! My first one BOTEN. The kid wheeled the bike out for me to get the pics but wouldn't stand with it. He's about double the size he was back then.

Thank you fellas...:thumbsup:

Can anybody spot what's wrong with the non-drive side crank? I noticed something was awry when I first looked at the pics. You can see the problem better in this one.

ring14.jpg

Another clue is the cranks will only settle in that position.

When I first discovered that the non-drive 600 crank was bent I googled bicycle crank straightening and mainly found people saying to never try and straighten an alloy crank arm but desperate times call for desperate measures so....don't try this at home...not recommended...your mileage may vary etc. etc...:D

The creaking and cracking of the wood made smashing this in the press especially nerve racking.

ring12.jpg

Did one more hit closer to the middle and it's getting close.

ring13.jpg

Blocky pedal makes it easy to check with a square.

So that's what we're up to today. Got any horror stories about doing this? Post 'em up. I couldn't really find accounts of failure from doing this just warnings not to. Crank arm is trash anyways so I figure it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Got the 600 non-drive side arm sanded and polished. Wanted to smooth all the scratches out to make sure there weren't any cracks from the bending/straightening. Hopefully this wraps up the crank yanking.

ring15.jpg

ring17.jpg

Cranks still settle in the same position so that wasn't caused by the SR arm problem. Maybe something with the YST bb?
ring18.jpg

Had a helper for a while. Was hoping he would get on the rim so I could get his reflection.

ring16.jpg

Got the 600 non-drive side arm sanded and polished. Wanted to smooth all the scratches out to make sure there weren't any cracks from the bending/straightening. Hopefully this wraps up the crank yanking.

View attachment 99515

View attachment 99516

Cranks still settle in the same position so that wasn't caused by the SR arm problem. Maybe something with the YST bb?
View attachment 99517

Had a helper for a while. Was hoping he would get on the rim so I could get his reflection.

View attachment 99518
The cicada shot needs to be posted in the Macro Monday thread!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Is the crank arm twisted? I can't really tell from the photos what the issue is? Personally, I've never seen an alloy crank that was 'slightly bent'. They are usually either snapped off, or bent beyond use.

The cicada shot needs to be posted in the Macro Monday thread!

It will be! I've got a tighter crop of it that's even more zoomed in.

Is the crank arm twisted? I can't really tell from the photos what the issue is? Personally, I've never seen an alloy crank that was 'slightly bent'. They are usually either snapped off, or bent beyond use.

I think I may have made this a little confusing. The arm that came with the 600 crankset was slightly bent so I bought an SR arm to replace it with. The problem you can see in the pics is with the SR arm. It's not parallel with the drive side arm at all. Can't tell if that's from a worn taper (looks pretty bad) or if the square is just clocked slightly different. The bend in the 600 arm was hard to see without holding it up to the framing square but you would have been able to feel it riding for sure.

I think all I got done today was to wheel the bike out and take some pics of it with the Purple Peat Seat cover. Pete is a guy who used to sell a bunch of Schwinn stuff under license. One of the things he sold was these seat covers. I've had this one for a while and this is the whole reason for using purple on this.

ps9.jpg

ps5.jpg

ps4.jpg
ps10.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back