Blu - Gal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the loss of your FIL.
I like the flow of this build so far. That Elgin guard is way cooler than the higgins one.
Looking good.

I'm sure I will not be breaking any speed records on 100 lb trike.

Remember high school math: Force = mass x acceleration.

Meaning, it takes as much braking power to stop a 100 lb. bike @ 5 mph, as a 50 lb. bike @ 10 mph, as a 25 lb. bike @ 20 mph.

I suggest brakes are the #1 safety device. (my $0.02)

Remember high school math: Force = mass x acceleration.

Meaning, it takes as much braking power to stop a 100 lb. bike @ 5 mph, as a 50 lb. bike @ 10 mph, as a 25 lb. bike @ 20 mph.

I suggest brakes are the #1 safety device. (my $0.02)
I've been brainstorming about a rear break now . I think I,ll pack a
parachute in the trunk and use it like the Top Fuel car's do . o_O

I hate stripping paint and rust , so I need a diversion . Going to
attempt my own long spring saddle ? Cleaned up some misc. vintage seat springs , frames and found this attache bag at a flea market . Had to purchase the longer square u bolts. Wish me luck
ls springs.jpg
ls bag.jpg

Been working on the boring part of removing paint or rust on parts down to bare metal . I'll be surprised if we don't all end up with lead poisoning or rust lung ? One of the last parts is the 3 speed rear . Not much to it , but I still don't any signs of a existing rear break ? I have two worksman 26" front loader wheels on order for $100 off the Bay that I will try to use on these hubs ?
rusty rear.jpg

Bikes are like wives sometimes they take over a whole project and
tell you what they want . Well Blu - Gal decided she didn't want
any muscle bike parts , but she wanted to age gracefully and keep
her classic Elgin appearance . So I stole more parts off her ratty sister . Then located a hard to find tank and curved fender stay , to add a little class . Cleaned up the rear axle and primed everything I could . Happy bike - happy garage ?
b g mock 1.jpg

Last edited:
There's a real good how to thread around here somewhere about adding a spring to the seats... I'm pretty sure @The Renaissance Man posted it. It's a thing I need to do to a seat I have too. "Bottoms" out when I sit on it.

Carl. :crazy:

There's a real good how to thread around here somewhere about adding a spring to the seats... I'm pretty sure @The Renaissance Man posted it. It's a thing I need to do to a seat I have too. "Bottoms" out when I sit on it.

Carl. :crazy:
I can't take credit for that one, I first saw how @léocwc did it and then made my own variation based on his idea. Here's a link to my thread. And here's a link to his original thread (scroll to the bottom).

Latest posts

Back