Oranjeboom Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read though your thread, it was interesting. I liked all the background stuff about the trails. I too enjoy building wheels. Usually a Shimano 3 speed coaster or a three band Bendix into a cruiser rim or a 57 mm fatty. I have never really thought about the extra travel on the kickback until you pointed it out. I still like those hubs for cruisers it's nice to have that easy gear with a tank of a bike for take off and hills (in the city we call em overpasses) How about a mockup of your bike? I like those mid-build poses and it's cool to see where you're going.

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

I'll post a picture soon, I like that Idea. I should assemble it before paint anyway, check clearances, fit and try and figure out how to attach the brake lever to the Schwinn clamp on cantilever front brake. I haven't done much as I want to paint it next and the weather has been real bad. Today, Memorial Day, my wife and I went for a walk in the woods and found several patches of lingering snow. I had to turn back as I only had on a heavy flannel shirt and my core got chilled. It was in the 40s F and windy and drizzling. Now it's raining. The trees are still mostly in buds with some just starting to leaf out. There are no bracken fern fiddle heads out to pick and the blueberry bushes look dead as they haven't started to bud yet. My one Bendix kickback works well, but what I was referring to is the earlier was the Bendix 2 speed with a manual thumb shift. They didn't make that long and went to the kickback. The manual is just bad, fragile, hard to adjust and with a big back pedal before the coaster works. I have a few complete manual units for spares and a wheel set that I retired. I have rebuilt 3 Bendix manual coasters and they were all pretty bad.

Here's hoping the weather takes a turn for the better way U.P. there, @us56456712 .

Your bracken fern fiddle head comment brought me back to my days on the south shore of the Lake. Our campers were intrigued, if not a bit hesitant, when we added the fern buds to a couple of our meals on the trail.

How do you usually prepare yours?

Here's hoping the weather takes a turn for the better way U.P. there, @us56456712 .

Your bracken fern fiddle head comment brought me back to my days on the south shore of the Lake. Our campers were intrigued, if not a bit hesitant, when we added the fern buds to a couple of our meals on the trail.

How do you usually prepare yours?
I steam them or par boil them like asparagus. They are good as a side dish. I tied to eat a bracken fern fiddle head in England and the bitter taste stayed with me for several hours, not the same fern.

It was so cold today, low 40s F, that my hands kept getting so cold I had to leave my shop and go inside to warm my hands up. I could only work for about 10 minutes. This afternoon it got partly cloudy and up into the 50s F so my wife and I went for a 10 mile gravel ride. I should be riding the Oranjaboom Bomber instead of the fat bike. I still have to prime and sand it.

It got to 50F yesterday so I primed the frame and fork. I'll start sanding it after I get back from the Mackinac Island Classic Bike Ride this Saturday. I will take a few extra days to dry at these low temperatures. I'm conflicted as Hiawatha's Revenge is also Saturday. I usually ride this gravel grinder but the classic ride won the coin toss. Last year, after my back fusion, I barely finished the 50 Km ride. Previously I could ride one of my tank bike classics in the 100 Km. I almost didn't finish the 50 Km last year. It's only 13 Km around the Island. I have 3 frames to paint and want to do them all at the same time when we get a weather break. There is still a little snow in the woods in shaded depressions.

I started to sand the frame and fork. The frame has very little rust and only one minor dent, which I'll fill. I'll put Ospho on the rust. The sanding will not be extensive. I'm not interested in a real good paint job but I do want to remove the drips and brush strokes from the previous overcoats.
IMG_1513.JPG

Last edited:
I put a skim coat of flat white spray bomb with some red spray bomb over it. This was old partial cans I had laying around. I will sand this down to see the remaining brush strokes from the old drippy paint that I am trying to sand down. It's still in the 40F durning the night so it will have to sit for a few days to dry.
IMG_1528.JPG

Last edited:
It's 41 F this morning and clear and very calm. Yippee, later today it will get into the 60s F so I can put the frame in the sun today and sand tomorrow.
Good for you. You deserve a stretch of nice days after the winter / spring you've had. RaT oN~!

Good for you. You deserve a stretch of nice days after the winter / spring you've had. RaT oN~!

It's been nicer. We occasionally have a day that touches 80F. IT is still 40 - 50s at night. We are still having occasional upper 50F days and the leaves are almost out. I went leek picking yesterday, very late for leeks. I like this kind of weather, you can ride in shorts and short sleeves and not sweat. I'm busy planting my garden so no work on bikes.

I'm not even going to do a mock up. Next step orange paint. If it gets scratched assembling and force fitting I'll just add more spray bomb. Modern paint in a spry can is so bad that it falls off anyway and with a Klunker it will be a mess in no time so who cares.
IMG_1543.JPG

Last edited:
Now I did it. I registered for the Ore to Shore point to point mountain bike race August 10 in the single speed category. Now I have to finish this bike so I can be in the race. The goal will be not to race but to finish with a Morrow coaster brake, 85 year old frame and equally old skip tooth chain. Unfortunately there are no age classes for single speed so I can't come in first in the 70 - 120 year old class. There are places assigned for the multi speed races in the 70+ class but there is too much competition in that category for me to place anyway. 6 foot three skinny all gristle 70+ animals with personal trainers race in this class. Many 20 year old races can't keep up with them. Last time I raced in this race I did it on a 1940s Columbia cruiser with a Bendix manual two speed. I cramped up near the end but finished. My legs kept peddling all night after the race so I couldn't sleep. So much fun. I beat a lot of older fat people.

I know enough about that race to know that it's grueling, long, and often a battle of mental and physical fortitude. And doing it on a single speed, well, that's just insane.

Kudos to you for even contemplating it. And, keep the rubber side down.

I know enough about that race to know that it's grueling, long, and often a battle of mental and physical fortitude. And doing it on a single speed, well, that's just insane.

Kudos to you for even contemplating it. And, keep the rubber side down.

I painted it with heavy coats of orange peel paint and over coated that with orange spray bomb. Three heavy drippy coats. It's 80F and calm today so I thought I would get painting it over with. It will need another coat but I'll probably do that after the frame is built up using masking tape and wax paper. It's drippier that the original orange house paint that someone put on it. Hopefully it will peal right off for the next guy. These heavy coats will take two weeks to dry before more paint can be applied without lifting and I don't want to wait that long to build it. It needs to be ridden a lot and all the bugs worked out before the race.

That's quite a bit of orange already. I'm contemplating going ignnoying and painting everything orange except the spokes, stem, pedals, chain and seat. That ought to be enough orange to be rude. I have an orange racing shirt too. Perhaps black darts, a black seat and black tires.
IMG_1557.JPG

Last edited:
You should go for "Annoying Orange" rather than "Rude Orange"

Latest posts

Back