Townie in the country

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this older Electra on New Year's day. The styling reminds me of an old bobber motorcycle. Thought the same thing about my Huffy Parkside when I first got it too. The Parkside is Huffy's response to the Townie. I think Huffy still needs to work on their version of "Flatfoot Technology!" LOL
So far I have swapped out the seat, bars and grips with stuff on hand that I like better than the stock parts. Also converted the grip shift to stick shift. Next up is a bobbed rear fender and maybe something to dress up all that space in front of of that mile high head tube. :)
98a20f6e9de1602ecf7fa7739b6f4cbe.jpg
c779ee092cdfb80f9d783eac0cf4e7d6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice shifter. Seems like almost all the major bicycle manufacturers have copied the Electra Townie in some form. Its a great design.

Thinking of maybe going white wall. Grabbed an old Huffy rim to try out the look.
056ab4989aaa97286101eee530483c87.jpg

Got the tires changed today. The white walls really set it off. Got the headlight mount made and started mocking up the rear fender.
The mile long head tube on Townies to me is a big sore thumb ruining the overall look of the bikes. I figured I would put the light kind of in the middle of that expanse to kind of hide it some. Seems to work for me, but a Monark style springer front end be way cool. Unfortunately, those things are above my pay grade. LOL I may try to fabricate some kind of truss arrangement on the front end.
8802631023f3a9cd3a0e713a6874b858.jpg

Picked up this older Electra on New Year's day. The styling reminds me of an old bobber motorcycle. Thought the same thing about my Huffy Parkside when I first got it too. The Parkside is Huffy's response to the Townie. I think Huffy still needs to work on their version of "Flatfoot Technology!" LOL
So far I have swapped out the seat, bars and grips with stuff on hand that I like better than the stock parts. Also converted the grip shift to stick shift. Next up is a bobbed rear fender and maybe something to dress up all that space in front of of that mile high head tube. :)
98a20f6e9de1602ecf7fa7739b6f4cbe.jpg
c779ee092cdfb80f9d783eac0cf4e7d6.jpg

Like the shifter. Hope you don't mind if I use the idea. :thumbsup:

Looks great! Love the shifter and headlight!

I guess this is one of those copies you were talking about.
20190613_182336.jpg

Just got it a couple of weeks ago. Used of course.
Never thought of ratting it out. But I got some whitewall cruiser tires that would give it a smoother ride. Really comfortable to ride bike as is though.

Something old, something new.
Something Higgins, something blue...

I got to noticing some of the Electra Cruisers had a more old school looking chain guard than the one on the Townie. I think it looks a lot cooler than the One on the Townie so I started to to look for one. Couldn't find the Electra piece so I began looking at vintage tin. Came across this blue J C Higgins guard for $6 plus shipping on eBay and decided to pull the trigger on it.
168146cf75a1c6a89dffcbb8824eede3.jpg
93394d3a371d8c199c63bd1d8ec365eb.jpg

IMG_20190729_195100~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back