QUESTION FOR FORUM MEMBERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wanted to run this past the forum members to hear your thoughts.

The current version of the Xenforo forum software being used for this site is outdated and will soon no longer be supported. We're in the version 1 world of things and last year they released version 2 which apparently offers more functionality, is better in a mobile environment, is more secure and is supposed to be easier to use. It's essentially a whole new forum platform designed by the same forum software company to replace the first version.

I have been speaking with a development company that specializes in upgrading the Xenforo software and all of its plug-ins to version 2 in a seamless process that protects all of the data. They guarantee the transfer process and they make sure things like feedback ratings and history are preserved.

As you would expect, there is a cost involved in all of this and I wondered if the forum members would be willing to chip in on the upgrade cost to make it happen. The cost to have the upgrade done is $1900 and it could be completed within a 2 week window.

My hope is that the upgrade might eliminate some of the bugs that we've put up with and at the same time, make this forum easier to use.

Reply below and let me know your thoughts either way on the subject....thanks!

I'd be in for a raffle, I am sure you have something cool to raffle off, I think you'd get more takers this way, and make more $$s...Otherwise I'd donate to the cause.

?, maybe I need another cup of coffee, but I don't get the logic....

Speaking for myself...I have a bunch of parts that cost me no money that I probably will never use, but are too cool or too rare to just scrap. I'd be willing to list some of these things on a fundraiser thread if it was created. I'd list them as price + shipping, recover my cost and donate the rest. Buyers could probably Paypal direct to Ratrod keeping him from having to do all the heavy lifting.

Speaking for myself...I have a bunch of parts that cost me no money that I probably will never use, but are too cool or too rare to just scrap. I'd be willing to list some of these things on a fundraiser thread if it was created. I'd list them as price + shipping, recover my cost and donate the rest. Buyers could probably Paypal direct to Ratrod keeping him from having to do all the heavy lifting.
I see

Thanks for the input!

I guess the big question is whether the users here actually care about a software upgrade or not.

It could be that the way it is working now is fine with most people and therefore not worthy of making the change.

Definitely open to all opinions on this.

Thanks for the input!

I guess the big question is whether the users here actually care about a software upgrade or not.

It could be that the way it is working now is fine with most people and therefore not worthy of making the change.

Definitely open to all opinions on this.
I’m guessing the folks who would want an upgrade are on the Facebook mobile side of things.

I do experience some bugs and it sometimes makes the posting process less pleasant, that is true. But i am not a very rich young person, so i am not sure if i can offer much of my help. Some, but not much, in comparison to the whole price. So i think it is up to others to decide.
It is a pity that the company that produces that software does not help with issues like that, because i guess the current version was not free either.

Only problem w/ the current system for me is that annoying "Not secure" notice in the address bar. :wondering: Is there any real advantage on the administrative side?

I've done a few big image ridden posts...spent a bunch of time on them...and then get the stupid service error and pretty much have to trash the whole thing. If the updated version fixed that...it be worth a donation from me :). I'm fine how it is...I just avoid typing up image heavy posts.

$10 should be doable by almost anybody...and we would only need 190 anybodies at that price point. I mentioned swag and forum titles, because people seem more willing to pony up if they get at least a trinket in return. I mentioned raffles, because there is a guy I know somewhat locally that does random raffles for no reason on some bmx buy/sell facebook group and makes pretty good coin for some fairly mundane items.

I like the forum the way it is.....
However, it says we have 22,591 members. So I feel like there should be 1900 members willing to give up $1.00 pretty easy...
Just a thought. Maybe it wouldn't happen.
I would try to contribute no matter what if we need this tho.

I had to contact Mr. Moderator on Facebook to get signed in, the site never did send a conformation email to me even after I clicked it several times over a week, so, yea, upgrade would be cool.

I think a raffle would be a good money generator. Somethings that could be shipped in the small flat rate box, (around 7 or 8 bucks shipping in USA, about 35 bucks to overseas countries) filled with whatever it could hold. Small accessories and ratrod stickers, decals, nameplate or head badge, license plate, handle grips, cogs, etc. Vintage stuff would be a draw too, like hubshiners and things with logos on them.
There's no weight limit, so metal parts are fine as long as they fit in the little box.
112008-1405-newuspssmal1.jpg

At 10 bucks a ticket, that would probably generate a lot of interest and bring in more than $1900, leaving a fund for the next upgrade.

Latest posts

Back