BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's a nice level of craftsmanship. Perfect fitting. Have you ever considered making those tanks in a way that they would not go around the headtube? I was considering buying a very rare Polish-made Universal/Tyler Korlis girls frame, that would be a shame to cover the front badge on the headtube.

Cut a hole in the front of that tank in the shape of the head badge, then fit a magnifying glass into the cutout to bring the head badge forward.

Having also installed a TRM tank, that fit is astounding! I'd have to get out the 'glass and patch it to get a fit like that.

Cut a hole in the front of that tank in the shape of the head badge, then fit a magnifying glass into the cutout to bring the head badge forward.

Was thinking about it in that way, but I think that with that frame it won't work that easy...
7787489e41cebbd191fc5a16e284
PpqbtOX5-b0gfdY4LssawA34Ym0ABgvMo6Uz7Yrl1vST=w446-h792-no

I was thinking of something more in the shape of convertible tanks produced by ZZR for the 20" wheel bikes, bu with that totally awesome TRM style...
image;s=644x461

Wow, great fit!
Having worked with a TRM tank fit on my One-Liner in BO 11, I can appreciate the near perfect fit you achieved here Jim! Wow! :43:
Your work and skill looks like you may have mounted and fit a few of these before! Fantastic work!
Wow, that's a nice level of craftsmanship. Perfect fitting.
Having also installed a TRM tank, that fit is astounding! I'd have to get out the 'glass and patch it to get a fit like that.
Thanks everyone! I have to admit some luck was involved also.:blush:
Have you ever considered making those tanks in a way that they would not go around the headtube? I was considering buying a very rare Polish-made Universal/Tyler Korlis girls frame, that would be a shame to cover the front badge on the headtube.
I have thought about it. That would also open up more posibilities for fork choices. Nothing in the works right now though.
That is a very clever idea! I may have to try that some time.:thumbsup:

Is the seat tube still bent or is that the original aesthetics?
As far as I can tell, that is the original shape.
Most photos are taken from the chain side which covers the bottom part of the seat post. I found this photo and drew a line from the bolt to the bottom of the post. The angle of the two photos are a little different but you can basically see the shape of both.
With an 83 year old frame it's hard to say for sure what exactly is correct, but I decided that it was best not to mess with it if it's not obviously wrong!

comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty complex tank fitting job on that one. Looks spot on! Nice.

As far as I can tell, that is the original shape.
Most photos are taken from the chain side which covers the bottom part of the seat post. I found this photo and drew a line from the bolt to the bottom of the post. The angle of the two photos are a little different but you can basically see the shape of both.
With an 83 year old frame it's hard to say for sure what exactly is correct, but I decided that it was best not to mess with it if it's not obviously wrong!

View attachment 96676
Elgin's were offer with both straight and curved center tubes in the
late 30's and early 40's and made by three different manufactures .

Pretty complex tank fitting job on that one. Looks spot on! Nice.
Thanks!
Elgin's were offer with both straight and curved center tubes in the
late 30's and early 40's and made by three different manufactures .
There's no doubt that it came with a curved seat tube, I'm pretty certain that all Skylarks did. But just as @Uncle Shish questioned, my only concern was about how it bends slightly forward before it bends back. That could happen if someone took it off some sweet jumps in the past!
I looked at as many pictures as I could find and couldn't make a clear conclusion about if that was by design or not . If it was an unintended bend then the chain stays would have to bend also and again all of the pictures that I checked looked mostly the same. With all of the curved bars and different camera angles of the various photos, it made it almost imposible to say just exaclty how it looked in 1936!
So without a definitive comparison, I felt that I had better leave well enough alone. I would be sick if I had broken something trying to fix something that didn't need to be fixed in the first place!!! I'm pretty sure it will look like every other Skylark after all of the other parts are added. If not, I'll just claim that it was an intentional modification!:21:

Last edited:
The Elgin I chopped up for class 2 had this fail...View attachment 96702
and a curved seat tube....

LOVING YOUR BUILD.
Carl.
Thanks Carl, that's a good example of what I'm hoping to avoid! lol

It's the last day of month one and I don't really have much to show for four weeks. But at least I am moving forward!

Here's a mock-up with the TRM Tank and the TRM Mullet Fender both in place. The mullet is still at full length but will most likely get a little trim off the back later on.:emo:

Tank and fender.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Carl, that's a good example of what I'm hoping to avoid! lol

It's the last day of month one and I don't really have much to show for four weeks. But at least I am moving forward!

Here's a mock-up with the TRM Tank and the TRM Mullet Fender both in place. The mullet is still at full length but will most likely get a little trim off the back later on.:emo:

View attachment 96816
I'm lost , where did the piece that runs from the bottom of skirt
guard to the bottom of the fender come from . It blends in so
good .

Latest posts

Back