Need some help with new fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://imgur.com/aMnmi2p

So i have a issue and my monark fork with disc attachment that basically doesn't fit a disc wheel and i don't know why. I'm waiting for a reply from them.

So i'm going to start looking for another fork that fits a disc as it's the only way i'll be able to stop this ebike.

What do you guys recommend? it's non threaded the headset stuff thats on the bike is:

Tange New Passage 27.0
30.2/27
C.P.

I would like some suspension to give me a little break.... let the recommendations fly!

It’s 160mm.
I also went to 2 bike shops that do a lot of work and they were scratching their heads as well. They pulled 4-6 different wheels off of bikes on the showroom including a 140mm disc and it still didn’t fit. And said it’s pretty standard. Really not sure. (All were quick release)

After some googling Could it be a different shimano style road disc ?

Yea at this point I’m gonna look for a different fork that’s disc compatable.... any suggestions?

It may sound obvious, but i still say it, have you tried to put the rockers inside the fork?
I have never owned a fork like that, but it appears to me it should be an easy thing to do. You might need to spread it a little afterwards, but it is steel, so i expect no problem appearing there.
That might solve your problem. Or might not, but at least you try, right? :)

I may mess with the rockers like you said after the weekend. in the mean time I'm gonna look for a spare suspension fork that has a disc break.

1" threaded suspension anyone? anything anyone likes?

I can't see the video, but in the pic, the disc mount looks wrong. Disc calipers don't go on the bottom like that. Generally the caliper mounts on the front of the fork.

I have tons of experience with disc brakes. The caliper will mount behind the fork so the braking force is pushing it into the bracket instead of pulling it out. The 6 bolt hub/ disc interface spacing is correct. I couldn't find a detail of the Monarch fork, but the Cuda disc springer runs the rockers inside the legs. Very nice bicycle you're building, for sure.

ok i tried all combinations and nothing is working... they say i'm using a wheel with a large disc mount. How can i build a wheel up with a different disc mount? any ideas anyone?

Is there enough material on that rotor carrier face that you could have some machined back? It certainly looks like there is. I'd do that and sacrifice making spacers to align the caliper later

monark is telling me i'm just using the wrong wheel. And nothing needs to be customized. What they aren't telling me is... what exact wheel setup they are using what front hub, what disc mount did they exactly use? Or do they take a certain wheel then build on the disc mount somehow? I don't know. I'm just getting into bike building but it's driving me nuts when 3 bike shops tell me "it doesn't fit". The builders have to be building a wheel hub out with a disc somehow.

I'll keep plugging away at it. Obviously no one here has used this monark ii fork with a disc.

That front hub spacing should have 100mm spacing. It's common now for hubs to be spaced for 110 "boost" to fit wider tires. It's also common for hubs to use an adaptor to allow switching from 100mm QR to 100 thru axel to 110mm thru axel by switching end caps. Your fork has flat mount tabs. There are adaptors for every application and it's likely you'll need one as many calipers are set-up for post mount.

The space between the face that the rotor bolts onto the hub and the inside face of the drop-out of the fork looks like 10mm on 3 different bikes I just looked at. On all of them, the inside of the drop-out is flush to the very inside if the fork. I've never known a rotor mount to be out of spec.

On a tangent, it looks like a QR axle? I'm sure I'd want to bolt-thru on your ebike application.

Last edited:
Ok so I think I’m getting somewhere...

I’m waiting on a reply from bikeberry.... and this link above is from bicycledesigner web site... they use a rear wheel for the front... do you think this will have a tighter clearance?

Ok so I think I’m getting somewhere...

I’m waiting on a reply from bikeberry.... and this link above is from bicycledesigner web site... they use a rear wheel for the front... do you think this will have a tighter clearance?

I'd be leaning on a rep from Monarch to lead you through this at this point. If they can't list the actual spacing spec.s and compatibility for the fork, just send it back. Shouldn't they be offering a great price on a wheel for you at this point? Where did you source your wheel from? Do you have the spec.s for your parts to confirm you are starting with standard parts?

Last edited:
a 100mm QR(quick release) wheel fits perfect... if you put a disc on it... the disc hits the fork. There has to be some trick to it. i just don't know what the "gassers" have been doing. otherwise i need another solution for the fork that still looks cool with the bike. at this point i almost may go with a triple post standard fork and just get it over with.

Monark just says i have a huge rotor mount but haven't pointed me to a specific wheel/hub/kit to buy that just works with the fork. i don't think i'm going crazy... but if the trick is to use a rear wheel on the front and use a disk kit then just tell me that.

Last edited:
update... there is no update. I had a front wheel made for me out of a rear freewheel.. and it's exactly the same disc hits the fork... it's to bad i waited a year and a 1/2 to install this fork. Monark had me reach out to a few motorbike people... 2 didn't get back to me... the third guy who did, i'm now willing to pay to tell me the trick to getting this working. I really can't recommend this disc compatible Monark 2 ii fork becuase it doesn't fit a disc wheel... untill i pay for the one of monarks contacts time, to tell me the 'trick' (which is fair to me). I'll always support the local small guy. so i've now bought 2 wheels, 2 disc kits, and am about to pay another guy to tell me the trick. basically i'm going to spend 200 to try and figure out 180 fork. ...... i could have built a new 48v battery for that much..

Anyone point me to a black triple tree fork with disc 1" non-threaded frame. but a threaded fork is ok as this monark is 1" threaded.

https://imgur.com/PpN9CPa
https://imgur.com/aQf5zwO

Latest posts

Back