'53 CWC Western Flyer art deco custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a cool little original paint bike that I put reverse paint-style fenders and some other cream components.
DSCN0712.JPG

Last edited:
Looks really good! Much better than the drab cream accents. It pops, but not too much. Did you 'paint' the pedals or are they a different red set?

The fender reflector is a nice touch.

Looks really good! Much better than the drab cream accents. It pops, but not too much. Did you 'paint' the pedals or are they a different red set?

The fender reflector is a nice touch.
Pedals are original 50's J C Higgins in bright red (not clay). The blocks are round, not square, and they spin. Perfect for riding barefoot.

It will be changed back to that cream accent version after the 4th. I much prefer that art deco look. What I was attempting to do with this version, was to present relatively equal amounts of all three colors without being gaudy. Not an easy task to accomplish. I think it's ready for the 4th of July parade!

You accomplished it quite well indeed! I'd keep it the way it is, but as they say, less is more... so be it :D

Not sure how its art deco, but it would fit in a twentieth century living room.

You accomplished it quite well indeed! I'd keep it the way it is, but as they say, less is more... so be it :D

Not sure how its art deco, but it would fit in a twentieth century living room.
Thank you for the kind words.

Almost all prewar and postwar bikes are heavily influenced by the art deco movement of the 30's and 40's. Right up until the space age stuff became so popular (mid-century modern). Then the musclecar movement started and then most the bikes were designed to look like race cars. Then the off-road BMX movement. The BMX bikes were the first time the focus wasn't on "form over function". Style ruled the design of bikes until then. Then they attempted to go back to the "style" days with all of the reproductions that have been flooding the market since the 90's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back