Thunderbolt Grease Slapper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's the gearing on that hot tamale Tom, er, Carl? I lost count, but that front chain ring looks to be around a 53 t monster! If you get that up to speed, you'll be 'blowing by' the other riders in more ways than one on your S.O.B (south of the border) ride.

How's the gearing on that hot tamale Tom, er, Carl? I lost count, but that front chain ring looks to be around a 53 t monster! If you get that up to speed, you'll be 'blowing by' the other riders in more ways than one on your S.O.B (south of the border) ride.
Gerty says there's a 20 tooth cog on the red band 2 speed hub, running 1:1 in high and .67:1 in low, a 52 tooth Evans sweetheart with a 20 tooth cog is 2.60 ratio in high. Now calculate the 26" rim with a 2.10 tire using a 52 tooth sprocket and a 20 tooth cog and you get 68.14 gear inches which Tom boy says is actually pretty easy to pedal and that's in high!

Merle.

Well folks after all of that...
Gerty pulled a 3 speed from a Rat,
with matching black rims, red nipples and steel spokes. I won't bore you with math but Tom says 2nd gear feels like high gear on the two speed kickback and 3rd will really get you moving. It's still a coaster so there's only the one cable. All around nice guy Tom Slick likes it simple. I'm guessing Tom's looking for a race, but I'm also wondering where Gerty found that rear fender? Looks to me like it was originally on the front.
Remember there's no such thing as too hot of a sauce on the Tamale Ride, Marigold...

8bf2e85c8eb4b9e10c56d6631abffe89.jpg
83f7d58a580c990288a0b59a9aed2e8f.jpg

Merle.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
I really like that first fender in the rear, the color match with the frame; that white border on the fender is real 'racy' . The full fender does make the back tire look fatter. Depends on what 'Tom' is trying to achieve.

Black wheels look great!

I really like that first fender in the rear, the color match with the frame; that white border on the fender is real 'racy' . The full fender does make the back tire look fatter. Depends on what 'Tom' is trying to achieve.

Black wheels look great!
^ What he said...

Well Croozers, Bruisers and there's no such thing as losers here at ratrodbikes... The Tamale Ride is done and dusted. There were a few folks in attendance who have bikes in the build off, but our hero was the only one who actually rode his build off bike, the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper.
9562e2bda914c8d1f9aba6f3cfc2f50d.jpg
c325f8f8399ee8c4202fce3896ab6b02.jpg
2100c3f8b49aafa626360469fd588a14.jpg

Also, both fenders are original to the bike, but the rear was repainted before. Orange!?!?! Gerty, repainted it again in a faux weather finish.

Merle.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
Nice Rat-ina on that rear fender. Wow, Finished huh? I guess Tom Slick being first to the finish line was a real thing. :grin:

"There's no such word as finished in bike building, Marigold." Tom Slick. "I know a few choice words Tom boy. Bash yer knuckles on a frame a couple times and you will too!" Gerty Growler.

Now, now folks, don't get bunched up in a pack. I heard there's a race coming up you won't want to miss. The Tour De Pork. It's a 3 stage race for heavyweights starting out with a roll thru the Hot Dog stand district, where you must stop and wolf down as many franks as you can. There's a complicated algorithm for scoring the first stage, a combination of weight gained and minimum lap times divided by the finish placing, multiplied by actual hot dogs consumed! Save some room for dessert.

Merle.

Last edited:
Is Hunter S. Thompson writing your blog?
Love the build ... and the reading :)

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson

I should aspire to be so eloquent...
Merle.

Time out.
Nice Rat-ina on that rear fender. Wow, Finished huh? I guess Tom Slick being first to the finish line was a real thing. :grin:
It's not finished. o_O
There should be a category for first one finished, :emo:
Ha! @OddJob will win that :21:
It's not finished. o_O

There's still over 3 months to go!;)
It's not finished. o_O
Google Tom Slick & The Thunderbolt Grease Slapper.
It's ok if you don't get it.
But understand, it's not finished. o_O
and remember there's no such word as finished
until Gerty says it's finished. o_O

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back