Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say patina, I say rat-ina. Rat-ina, patina.

I have been watching Youtube for the past week, checking out some new rusting and weathering techniques. Following is the combined stuff I put together for my approach to achieve the rustification I desired on the MIG-RaT. I have my own weird Rat-ionalizations for how I did it.

#1. Pick a nice dry day with a light wind in the mid 60's, and a semi sun / semi shade area.
ratina 1 sunny day.jpg

#2. Use a Park Tool stand from 1988 that doesn't have all it's parts anymore, to hold your bike for the process.

ratina paint day starter.jpg

ratina 2 bare frame fork.jpg

#3. Apply a medium coat of Orange Peel texture to the bike, heavier in the spots where you want the rust to appear to have gathered / bubbled.

ratina 3 orange peel texture.jpg
ratina 3A.jpg
ratina 3b.jpg

#4. Spray the whole frame with a Rust Primer. It is very strong and will hold on to even the places where the paint is missing on your frame. I don't even sand the old paint when I use this, it sticks this well. Designed to keep rust away. I use it to attract rust.

ratina 4 rust primer.jpg
ratina 4A.jpg
ratina 4B.jpg

#5. Spot rust over the areas where you want the most rust to show through the paint. This is one of my favorite colors, Cinnamon, which gives an orangish hue to the rust job. This is applied with a heavy scrubbie by shooting it with paint, and then dabbing it on where you want it.

ratina 5 spot rust.jpg
ratina 5A spot rust.jpg
ratina 5B spot rust.jpg

#6. Colonel Mustard did it with a sponge in the BACK40.
Apply some mustard to the car wash sponge, and dab it on the frame where you want the rust to show through. After you apply the mustard, spray your top coat right away, so the mustard doesn't dry hard. Then wait a few minutes, till the top coat looks like it is getting tacky, and then hose off the frame. Where the mustard was, the top coat (my French Blue) will release, and reveal the rust coating underneath. I used my garden hose with the nozzle turned way down to a fine, strong, misting stream for good control.

Let the frame sit out in the perfect weather and dry. Sit back and crack a beer. Or in my case, shower and head to work so you can make money to support your rat rod bike habit....

ratina 7 colonel mustard.jpg
ratina 6 top coat color.jpg
ratina 6 top coat.jpg
ratina 8 mustard wash.jpg
ratina 8 A.jpg
ratina 8 B.jpg
ratina 8 C.jpg

Back in my scale model railroading days, we used rubber cement instead of mustard. If you worked it right, you could replicate pealing paint too with the rubber cement.
But mustard does taste better than rubber cement...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The ratina looks great!:41:
Would you have guessed that I picked that up from @The Renaissance Man ? ;) Naturally, yes.
You've upped the ante by using Dijon mustard though. I'll see your Dijon and raise you Spicy Brown Deli.:nerd:

It was a beautiful morning in the BACK40. A kind of peaceful, painting wheels kind of morning....

I used my home made truing stand at the Paint Stump to paint the rims on my wheels. I spin the wheel and then spray down on the bottom most point of the spinning rim. It's amazing how much you can control where the spray paint goes. This is that "Rust Primer" I used to coat the entire frame yesterday.
60532569_2205933499452961_5015586482404982784_n.jpg

Then over to Picture Rock to let them dry in the sun.

60721253_2333631096699500_4748240079787393024_n.jpg

The ratina looks great!:41:

You've upped the ante by using Dijon mustard though. I'll see your Dijon and raise you Spicy Brown Deli.:nerd:
I like whole seed mustard, I imagine it would work, but I wonder what the finish would be like? Might even give it more random texture?

Wheels are looking great OJ!

I'm not sure how much the texture would effect the process since the objective is to just block the paint and then wash it away. The reason that I chose mustard was because it easily rinses away with water and because it is bright yellow which made it easyer to see how it was going on. I would imagine that there is probably other things that might work even better but I landed on mustard and it worked good enough so I stopped there.

Latest posts

Back