SCHWINNG

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SD you've got a solid frame here with some great concepts / parts to go along with it! Of course if it was me, the tires would be knobby, I'm more of a 'dirt' guy than a 'street' guy. But I like your differed sizes in tires!
RaT oN~!

Thanks, guys. I could finish it up in an hour or two; it's such a simple build. I've been messing around with different grips, I don't like the black plastic attached chain guard, and I'm considering some vintage accessories. I'll take my sweet time and watch you guys.
20190502_143233.jpg

20190502_065115.jpg

I went to church yesterday and my mind drifted off to this buildoff project during the sermon. At least I was in the right place to ask for forgiveness. I'm happier with the plastic chain guard now that I've painted it, but I do wish the paint manufacturers made a color called "Schwinn Red Faded to Orange."
20190506_064923.jpg

I've decided on one accessory, a license plate that was on the rear fender when I bought the bike. Apparently, the bike spent its early days in Lincoln, Nebraska.
20190506_064433.jpg

Last edited:
I've decided on one accessory, a license plate that was on the rear fender when I bought the bike. Apparently, the bike spent its early days in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Wow! Wish those were more popular, and optainable in my country :( That's a really cool accessory

SD, your church story reminds me of one of my favorite sermon 'funnies'. It goes something like this....

One Sunday, as he was leaving the morning church service, the pastor stopped Steve on his way out.

"Steve, it's good to see you again. We've missed you," said the pastor kindly. "I hope that you've been well?"

"Oh yes, I'm fine Pastor. Good to see you too, " Steve replied.

"Well, hopefully we'll be seeing you more often then," the pastor said wistfully.

Steve thought for a moment, and then replied, "You know, probably not for a while. You see pastor, I like to hang out in my garage and build rat rod bikes. And the way I figure it, the Good Lord would rather have me at home building rat rod bikes, and thinking about Him; than to have me sitting in church, thinking about building rat rod bikes."

Well, I took it for a ride, gave it a good hard look, and and in no time at all I found a few problems.

REGRETS/PROBLEMS/and OOPSIES:

Regret
- I didn't get to use a perfectly patinaed Schwinn chain guard that I've been holding for some time

Mistakes
- the handlebars, being swept back in the usual cruiser style, make me feel cramped up like a big boy on a little boy's bike
- with the 39T chainwheel, high gear is a little low and low gear is way low
- the crank arms bring the pedals unnaturally close to the pavement

Oopsie
- this is a big one: as I rode onto my driveway apron, the springer compressed and rubbed the tire into the fork crown. Fortunately, it didn't launch my 70-year-old body over the handlebars.

I will have to attend to some or all of these issues over the next few days.

Here's the chain guard that wasn't used. Aint she a beauty?
20190502_143606.jpg

Last edited:
SD, I've got a '70s motocross handlebar here in the BACK40, chrome, that would fit great on your build! Wide, relatively no sweep, and about 3' rise. Let me know.

They are the bomb for klunkers. Get you nice and stretched out, with great control.

IMG_20150730_113135.jpg

I believe I came up with two solutions yesterday; bull moose handlebars (almost pristine) and a small cog which should improve my gear ratio.

20190508_064202.jpg

20190508_064215.jpg

20190506_095652.jpg

Alas: My wife and I agreed that I had been spending way too much time on bikes, so we agreed that I would only work on bikes on Mon., Tues. and Thurs. Today is Wednesday darn it, so I'll be patching adobe on our house. Happy wife, happy life.

Great looking straight bar so far. Sounds like you are having fun too.

Latest posts

Back