Old Schwinn Twin tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These "Imported" models were the cheapest bikes of the lineup. Probably because of that they didn't get much love in the ads so that makes tracking down the date a little difficult. Western Auto appears to have sold three different versions. This one from the 1958 ad has cantilever bars that run continuous back to the dropouts.
Iw6rK98.jpg

This one from the 1961 ad has two top tubes and a single cantilever bar
BUgVp9Q.jpg

Or the style like yours which has two top tubes that run back to the dropouts and two cantilever bars that terminate at the seat post.

I'm betting this was imported during that '56-'57 strike that so impacted production of JC Higgins bikes of the era. ...I believe Sears obtained most their imported bikes from Puch in Austria. Western Flyer...who knows?

I'd definitely buy that being produced by Bauer--the chainring, guard, etc are identical to your bike. Check out the rear hub and let us know what you find.
There never was a strike, but Murray was building a new factory in '56, likely causing a shortage. ..Most of Sears' 3 speed lightweights after the later '50s were made by Puch, part of the european collective Steyr/Daimler/Puch. Puch's factory was in Austria, while the '56 JC Higgins bikes were made by one of the other factories in W. Germany. I used to think Bauers were made by them, but learned this year that they were their own company. -Adam

This one from the 1961 ad has two top tubes and a single cantilever bar
BUgVp9Q.jpg

Or the style like yours which has two top tubes that run back to the dropouts and two cantilever bars that terminate at the seat post.
This ad shows a TI-Raleigh built bike...a continuation of a Hercules model but with the intermediate bar added. This is a british roadster.

Rule of thumb for American bikes, if they have a cottered cranks...they are imported. Mostly German/Austrian...but, also British, Japanese, Norwegian, etc. . These bikes don't tend to have much value, but, still great project fodder.

Latest posts

Back