Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring on May 1st already!

Does that mean the extra month is coming at the end, and not the beginning? I was kind of wondering that, as I have a build, but I'm not sure I'm going to wait until May 1st to do it.

Bring on May 1st already!
I'm rebuilding last years buildoff bike in the Unofficial March Shootout and after that I'll still have 30 days to wait! I've already got a frame and have started accumulating parts, and we're going to have 4 months to build? I suppose I'll just have to start paying more attention to some of my other hobbies. I actually can't wait for the weather to break so I can comfortably RIDE some of these bikes.

Carl.

Inspiration for BO14, two of my favorite casting and color combinations

a3363234b2b9a4537bc5395cba8d22f9.jpg

a month and a half out...
anybody else have any inspirations?

Carl.
Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
Inspiration for BO14, two of my favorite casting and color combinations

a3363234b2b9a4537bc5395cba8d22f9.jpg

a month and a half out...
anybody else have any inspirations?

Carl.
Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...
At this point mine is pretty simple, another rebirth rat rod style. Not as much flash as this one.
a42f1d912284b3c12a5b0d52d57dca19.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Collecting parts! And having the swap meet at the store formerly known as Memory Lane right before the build off begins will definitely help finish off the parts collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a newby around here but very interested in the Build off. I have a lot of ideas for builds but fear they fit more in the "Freak-Bike" category than the Rat Rob category? Example, my first build was a tall bike. am I out of my element here?
Welcome, there have been some freak bikes built previously in build offs and some freaky bikes.

Also collecting parts even have a piece coming from Poland.

Nephew #2 outgrew his bike, so I'm redoing my Columbia Firebolt to have gears and a disc brake so he'll have something to ride that fits him until he gets something of his own and then it'll become a loaner. It won't look like much as the custom work will be mostly mechanical, but I could wait and enter it for the build off (and probably finish it the first weekend) just to enter.

I am a newby around here but very interested in the Build off. I have a lot of ideas for builds but fear they fit more in the "Freak-Bike" category than the Rat Rob category? Example, my first build was a tall bike. am I out of my element here?
Welcome, not out in my book.
I built this one two yrs ago...
KIMG0685.JPG

Still draws a crowd, rides like a recumbent...

Carl.

Kielbasa Kruiser?
Nope, but that might make for an interesting theme build...I’ve seen crazier stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of ideas ramblin' around in my head. Thinking I'll use a pair of 57mm wheels I picked up down here in AZ a couple months ago.

Also, while I had my buddy's angle grinder here to cut the stone mosaic for my backsplash, I figured I'd cut off the rear end of Mesa Buggie, since I snapped the rear stay going off a jump last year.

53874905_2271787436427546_3158905672628699136_n.jpg
54525227_2314610675263512_2067798634426007552_n.jpg

That's a tool I'm going to have to get! Especially if I'm going to be cutting up frames....:);)

I saved the drive train, disc brake set up, rear wheel, and added a new front wheel off a donor Goodwill bike to re-create Desert Sky, a '50s Hiawatha cruiser that I had originally built into a single speed coaster klunker. This might be my favorite riding bike I own!

Bike when I got it....

desertskybefore.jpg

First version of Desert Sky....

desertskyfirst.jpg

Desert Sky today....

53300029_410165732877748_6069547709969203200_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a couple of ideas ramblin' around in my head. Thinking I'll use a pair of 57mm wheels I picked up down here in AZ a couple months ago.

Also, while I had my buddy's angle grinder here to cut the stone mosaic for my backsplash, I figured I'd cut off the rear end of Mesa Buggie, since I snapped the rear stay going off a jump last year.

View attachment 91229 View attachment 91228

That's a tool I'm going to have to get! Especially if I'm going to be cutting up frames....:);)

I saved the drive train, disc brake set up, rear wheel, and added a new front wheel off a donor Goodwill bike to re-create Desert Sky, a '50s Hiawatha cruiser that I had originally built into a single speed coaster klunker. This might be my favorite riding bike I own!

Bike when I got it....

View attachment 91231

First version of Desert Sky....

View attachment 91230

Desert Sky today....

View attachment 91232

Nice, but I don’t see any rust, sorta out of character for you?

Latest posts

Back