VW Bus Sidecar build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after riding my old Mongoose with the sidecar for a couple years I decided to build a new sidecar to go with a new Kona.
index.php

I started with some 6061 for the frame this time to shave some weight off the old steel frame design.
index.php

index.php

Last edited:
the sidecar is a bit of a process for baking the blank for the sidecar shape. I start with styrofoam and some wood shapes for the rough shape.
index.php

first layer
index.php

second layer
index.php

some shaping
index.php

starting to look like something
index.php

now it looks like something
index.php

now for some sloppy work with epoxy, 'glass , and carbon fibre. The last sidecar had several layers to get the stiffness I wanted, this time 2 layers of biaxial carbon fibre added quite a bit of stiffness without the weight
index.php

1 layer of fibreglass, 2 layers of carbon, 1 layer of fibreglass and dacron on the top to smooth the whole thing out. The dacron strips off after and leaves a finish that is ready to add more layers.
index.php

index.php

then you get to melt the foam out of the inside.
index.php

just had to set it on the frame to see how it looked.

index.php

the boss approved of this new design
index.php

cut in some tail lights

index.php

started bodywork, and cut in some headlights
index.php

fill , sand, fill, sand and on and on.
index.php

my shaping block so I could get all the ribs the same shape.

index.php

had to throw some high build primer on to see how things were going, after a while all the patches start to confuse things

index.php

index.php

and more guide coat to see where we need some attention, back to sanding again
index.php

index.php

shot the base silver today, this was just the first dusting, we'll let that sit for a week and we'll shoot the flake with the cannon and candy over it. the windows on the front look funny but we are adding tinted pop outs over them and we didn't want to lose strength by cutting too much. I just wanted some air movement inside for the kid
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Latest posts

Back