ECHO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the lines following through from positive to negative at the rear but the front is bugging me a little. Maybe I'm just being OCD but I like seeing the radius of the chain guard centered with the BB.

It does look good as it is though, just a minor observation.:nerd:

I agree, could definitely benefit from some tweaking up front. Tipping it up a little, pulling the whole guard back a bit and reshape the opening might help. Something I need to look at more closely.

You are the Lil’ John Buttera of Rat Rod Bikes.

But you’re wrong about Marsha.

furyus

You are the Lil’ John Buttera of Rat Rod Bikes.

But you’re wrong about Marsha.

furyus

Thank you!

"...wrong about Marsha." Now that made me laugh. Ah, the middle sister never gets any respect. Wait a minute I think that was an episode wasn't it?

Sissy Bar

I'm using 1/2"x.065" for the sides and 1/2"x.120" for the top pieces. The .120" wall has let me get some pretty tight bends and gives me material to file away and fine tune the shape.

Filled with sand, capped and welded together two tubes for the side bends.

01_sissySide.jpg

I wanted flat areas at the bolt holes for the seat. Before cutting the tubes apart I hammered the sides. As subtle as a brick thru a picture window but it did the trick.

02_sissySide.jpg

03_sissySide.jpg

I used three separate pieces to get the compound curve I wanted at the top of the sissy bar. 1/4" rod that matched the tube ID helped with alignment.

06_sissyTop.jpg

Duct tape "clamps"

07_sissyTop.jpg

08_sissyTop.jpg

After welding and shaping.

09_sissyTop.jpg

Clamped and welded to the side tubes.

10_sissyTop.jpg

Cantilever Fix

This might be a little hard to see in the images but it has driven me crazy since I first noticed it. When I welded the canti-tubes to the down tube the right side ended up about 1/16" to 1/8" lower than the left. I was hesitant to cut it apart and re-weld but now that it's done I'm glad I took the time to fix it.

13_cantiFix.jpg

14_cantiFix.jpg

In-Process Overviews

I'm still working out the chain guard, the rear tire is mounted backwards, the current seat is a little uncomfortable, and I plan to use different handle bars but... the weather cooperated for a couple overview shots in the backyard this weekend.

15_backyrd.jpg

16_backyrd.jpg

17_backyrd.jpg

Sissy Bar

I'm using 1/2"x.065" for the sides and 1/2"x.120" for the top pieces. The .120" wall has let me get some pretty tight bends and gives me material to file away and fine tune the shape.

Filled with sand, capped and welded together two tubes for the side bends.

View attachment 87656

I wanted flat areas at the bolt holes for the seat. Before cutting the tubes apart I hammered the sides. As subtle as a brick thru a picture window but it did the trick.

View attachment 87657

View attachment 87658

I used three separate pieces to get the compound curve I wanted at the top of the sissy bar. 1/4" rod that matched the tube ID helped with alignment.

View attachment 87659

Duct tape "clamps"

View attachment 87660

View attachment 87661

After welding and shaping.

View attachment 87662

Clamped and welded to the side tubes.

View attachment 87663
Awesome work!
Sissy Bar Clamps

I made up some clamps kinda similar to those that were used on Schwinns to hold the sissy bar. Used thick wall 1/2" ID and 1/4" ID tubing.

View attachment 87664

View attachment 87665
They came out really nice!

Loving your work as always!

December 17th was my last post. Wow!

Well there were the holidays and then... a major computer crash. Holidays were great but the computer didn't make it. Was in a bit of a panic because of some of the design work that was on that computer. And of course I hadn't backed it up in a while. Anyway I managed to have the files transferred to a new computer (and backed up), got the new computer re-loaded with software and, I can now get photos off of my camera!

I've made good progress on the bike and have a bunch of updates to post. Unfortunately not enough progress to be able to finish before the build-off deadline. I really like what I have so far though and it will be ready in time for riding season.

Seat Post #1

Started with a cardboard template and transferred that to sheet metal.

01seatTemplate.jpg

02templateTransfer.jpg

Sandwiched two sheets together before cutting out for inner and upper pans.

03cutSandwichedSheets.jpg

04innerOuterPansFoldInprocess.jpg

05innOuterWeldInprocess.jpg

I used 20 gauge sheet metal. The inner pan didn't seem rigid enough even when bolted to the upper pan so I added a 16 gauge center piece. The seat post clamp mount came from a flea market banana seat find.

06innerPanMods01.jpg

07innerPanMods02.jpg

I'm only 'LIKE'-ing the fixed computer part of this story. Unlike the fact that it caused you not to be able to finish! Please keep us posted on the progress by adding to your thread here, whenever it does come to fruition, TJ.

A cool bike like this is becoming, needs maximum exposure~!

Seat Post #2

Threw a quick coat of paint on the upper pan before applying 1/2" foam and the vinyl. I used 3M Super 77 spray to attach the foam. The vinyl was stretched and held in place with hot glue before bolting the two pans together.

08outerPanPainted.jpg

09paddingLayer01.jpg

10paddingLayer02.jpg

The seat has less of a "kick-up" at the back of the seat than I originally intended but I like it better the way it turned out.

11vinyl01.jpg

12vinyl02.jpg

14vinyl03.jpg

Latest posts

Back