Shipping a bike to an APO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Does anyone out there have experience shipping a bike to a military APO? My wife is currently depoyed to West Africa and the base she's at has 3 bikes 2 of which are not in working order. I was planning on buying a few single speed cruisers and shipping them over but I'm having a hard time finding retailers that will ship to an APO.
I could ship them UPS myself but fear that might break the bank. If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing I'd love your input, thanks.

This gave me an idea, so I checked on the AAFES website, as I felt they would be the most likely to provide such delivery. It would appear things depend on the bike chosen--some say "CONUS only," others "No APO."

However, if you review the shipping info at the bottom of this pricey 8-speed, it suggests that delivery to APO/FPO is okay, at least for this item. So, you might poke around a bit.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/pure-cycles-crosby-8-speed-pure-city-step-through-bicycle/8486500

This shows the rules from 2017. I would talk with someone at USPS to make sure you have the latest rules. 70 lbs and max of 130 inches length and width sounds like a box a bike would fit in. But the rules may have changed.

"Restrictions

There are restrictions with what and how big a package you can send:

1 - Must be 70 pounds or less.

2 - Length and width cannot add up to over 130 inches

3 - You are limited to the US Mail package restrictions list

4 - Some countries may have additional items that are restricted."

Thanks. I got additional info on the bikes they have and they're single speed Mongoose fat bikes. The two that are down have flat tires and gunked up chains, the sand there is like red baby powder. What I'll likely do is instead of sending bikes I'll send tools and tubes and likely a work stand that way my wife can fix the two that are inoperable and teach others how to maintain them even after she's back state side. I think I can do most of that through Amazon.

received_359402014826443.jpeg
Mrs. Link biking West Africa!

Latest posts

Back