my copy cat bike (mountain frame board tracker)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
A while back, a member on this forum posted up a mountain bike frame that he added a second top tube to. It was love at first sight for me. I PMd him and asked if he'd mind if I copy the bike. He said no problem. So here it goes.

I bought the Vista frame from a board member. I have a brand new set of 26" coaster wheels that I'll be putting creme colored Fat Franks on, but for now I threw up a set of S7 wheels I bought from Bomb Shelter just to get an idea of what it will look like. I got the truss fork on Ebay. The lay back seat post is a chunk of handlebars. The seat is an old Bianchi I got on Ebay. I just need a nice bmx crank with 44+/- chain ring. Anyone have one?

I am going to paint the bike primer red and leave the fork rusty.

Thanks to BigPantsBob for welding in the tube last night. The tube came from a throw-away frame from yeshoney - so thanks to Joe also. And thanks to thatismytruck for the genius idea of using heat shrink tubing for grips.

i'm going to put tank plates on. that's what the tabs are for. if i can find someone to louver the plates and I can afford it, i'm going to do that.

quick mock up:

2946849233_4daba030c2_o.jpg

2946849549_01000772c8_o.jpg

2947706900_d466c59e47_o.jpg

2947706620_9a6242ed6f_o.jpg

2947707060_6a2cac3ce3_o.jpg

^^^ yes, they were huge wrap back beach cruisers that i cut off like 6 or 7". i cut off all the straight part. per pound those were expensive bars.

^^ primer red frame, leaving front fork with it's patina, natural sheet metal tank plates (louvered i hope), chrome rims with cream colored tires. at least that's the plan.

hey i borrowed your chopped cruiser handle bar idea and im putting it on my Red Baron bike thats in the bike build right now. Im glad i didnt mess up on the cut because i would've been piss just throwing away 20 bucks like that. Thanks for the idea! 8) 8)

^^ cool, glad you found something you like. I'll go check out the Red Baron.

That's gonna be hot.I was hoping you would leave the fork.It will look sick with the natural tank. :D

A word of caution: Most handlebars are far too weak to hold even a moderately heavy rider for too long. They will fail, sometimes catastrophically and at the worst time possible. Ask me how I know! :oops:

Please consider a purpose built laid back seat post, solid bar stock bent to desired shape or vintage angled seat post. Let's keep it safe out there.

We now return you to your scheduled program.

thanks Slacker for the concern - I was wondering about the strength of the handlebar piece used as a seat post myself, but perhaps I didn't wonder about it long enough. Until I come up with something purpose built, I will give it close inspection.

bigpantsbob welded up a sweet layback seatpost for me with a gusset for my girlfriend's bike. maybe i can get him to weld up a couple more...

welp, it's almost done. Just need to find someone to make me some louvered tank plates. And I am ordering white colored Fat Franks today.

2998785389_bf0199efcd_o.jpg

2998785581_99d5091d97_o.jpg

2999624974_9d5abc0077_o.jpg

2999625114_a87a5e1ab6_o.jpg

this little guy comes visiting when I'm in the garage. He/she rubs on all the greasy chains:

2998785193_8476404a5a_o.jpg

I gave her/him some snacks:

2999624244_8cb42e587a_o.jpg

how are you mounting your can? i read your post about the faux oil/ storage can plenty of times and looked at plenty of pics. can you take some close ups as to how your mounting that bad boy? nice lookin ride man!!! that kitty looks like our cat we have, except ours is about 20lbs more!!!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
how are you mounting your can? i read your post about the faux oil/ storage can plenty of times and looked at plenty of pics. can you take some close ups as to how your mounting that bad boy? nice lookin ride man!!! that kitty looks like our cat we have, except ours is about 20lbs more!!!

Easy E

the two bikes i did the can to are mounted different. this bike i drilled two small clearance holes for #6 screws through the seat stays.

3002871282_972b09bc0a_o.jpg

the first bike i used the fender brace between the seat stays to mount a metal bracket to, then curved the bracket to match the diameter of the can and screwed it to the bracket.

sorry, pics are blurred, i'm at work and these are the best i can do right now.

tikiharl said:
Hey that bike looks great !!! See I told you once you got to building it that it would become yours and not a replica. Really nice. 8)

thanks bud! you were right. your bike got me going on this, and so far this is my favorite bike. i like the modern geometry mixed with the old look. she's a rider too, solid and fast. cheers

Latest posts

Back