24-inch mystery bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O wise ones, how is this creature named? Dyno? Electra? Note that the bottom of the seat tube is behind the BB.

mystery bike.jpg

Looks like a Dyno frame and chain wheel. Dropouts look Dyno. Is there a "D" on the frame tube between the seat stays? Maybe a "D" sticker under the paint on the head tube? A serial number may be on top of the BB. Just guessing.

Mssrs. Wildcat and Boltnut:
You are correct! it is a Dyno (see attached photo evidence). However, I haven't found any information about 24-inch Dyno cruisers. All I see is about 26ers. Anybody have any intel?
Thanks

dyno1.jpg
dyno2.jpg

It's uncommon, I can't find a pic of one anywhere. They had models with a 24" rear tire and 26" in front, but I've never seen a smaller Dyno frame like yours. Looks like the original color was red. Rims look spray painted too. Maybe the painter has the chain guard and/or fenders.

I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon extracting the seat post. The operation included pipe wrenches, bench vise, drill, vise grips, hammer, and salty language. All's well that ends well (didn't end up so well for the seat post). Disassembly of head set clearly showed that this was cobbled together including mismatched frame cups and addition of a spacer. Looks like fork was red and frame was lemon yellow. These two observations make me wonder whether this was the original fork. Rims, spokes, and hubs were rattle-canned.

I did some more googling and still find no info on this model bike. With all the brain power on this forum, somebody must know something out there!

That fork is the right style for a Dyno. Still can't find a pic or any info. The frame doesn't look like it was altered, and the head badge is too big for the small head tube. But I think that's original,they probably didn't make too many small frames like yours. The fork may have been a different color for some reason maybe ordered special that way? Dynos had a lot of two tone paint jobs, but they matched up the forks. Is the whole frame yellow? Also, there may be a name visible on the top bar. I would try to remove all the flat black somehow to reveal the original paint. There might be insignia on the seat tube also. The serial number may give a clue, maybe the year it was made would help ID it. It should be on the top of the BB. The head badge is the one used from 1998 into the 2000s.
I found this pic, looks like a smaller Dyno frame with the crank forward design, and has the earlier (or later) chain guard I'm not sure on that.
1134960841_DYNOGlide24.jpg

Dear Mr. Wildcat:
Good googling! The picture you found is the bike! Identifying feature is that the top tube and down tube almost touch at the head tube. As you suggested, I cleaned off some of the rattle can paint and found the yellow with black trim as in the pic and "Dyno-glide" on the top tube. Chain wheel also matches. Fork is a different style. I scaled the wheels on the pic and it looks like the rear is 24" and the front is 26". If I had to guess, I'd say that the red 24" fork on mine is not original.

I did some more googling and all the other Dyno-glides I saw, except one, have more space between the top and down tubes. Pic of the exception is below.

Thanks and Aloha, Andy
dynoGlideDeLuxe.jpg

So, the front fork was changed to 26, to accommodate a 26 wheel, (or maybe whatever they had)?
The thing with Dyno Glide headsets, is that the cups are for larger 1-1/8" threadless forks, i.e., 34mm headtube ID; however, the threaded forks are 1" OD. Dyno used a custom headset for these bikes. If the original parts were not saved, (or went with the wrong parts upon separation), then the adapter method is a best way to go. The 2mm adapter shim reduces the oversize 34mm headtube to fit a 1"/30mm road bike headset. [Additional stacking height washers, or other means, are required if the steer tube of the fork is too long for the short headtube].

I took a second look at the 24" bikes in the Dyno Kustom Kruisers Katalogs, and it appears that the artists took liberty and merely shrank the 26" bike pictures, and labelled them as 24" bikes.

Last edited:
Dyno-Glide 24 Epilogue:
I removed the black paint with acetone, but the original yellow and black paint scheme was too scratched to save. Therefore, the frame is now Krylon Satin Spiced Amber (for the less sophisticated, that's orange). When I got the black paint off the fork, it turned out to be a Huffy part. The jury-rigged head set was a result of the steering tube being too long. A hacksaw and a new Sunlite BMX head set put things right. I'm still working on removing the blue paint from the rims, spokes, and hubs. When embarking on that task, I considered breaking down the wheels before removing the paint, but thought that might be more trouble than it was worth. in retrospect, that might have been easier. I also adapted a chain guard from an old 26" 3-speed bike and painted that black. I'm looking forward to putting things back together and getting this cruiser on the road.

Attachments

• dyno frame.pdf
    925.7 KB · Views: 159

Latest posts

Back