Mixte Tape

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am currently working on a Mixte frame, I thought it would be nice to see what other people have done with theirs and maybe get some inspiration and/or ideas :grin:

2257856_1.jpg

What are thinking about doing with her?
Well, that build have started with the tires :)
s-l1600.jpg

610b1baa429f80773e91ae8c5524

Mine are 28x2.
I saw them and could not stand but to build up a nice retro-style clean european bike. Took the frame that was hanging on the wall of my garage for a while that i got for free andinitially wanted to cut up. I rarely build euro-style bikes, most of mine are american style cruisers, so for that bike i am using some green and white pallet, retro pedals, torpedo 3 speed hub, a bit of pinstriping. I will post the pictures next week when i get the frame from LBS where they did some painting for me.

Well, that build have started with the tires :)
s-l1600.jpg

610b1baa429f80773e91ae8c5524

Mine are 28x2.
I saw them and could not stand but to build up a nice retro-style clean european bike. Took the frame that was hanging on the wall of my garage for a while that i got for free andinitially wanted to cut up. I rarely build euro-style bikes, most of mine are american style cruisers, so for that bike i am using some green and white pallet, retro pedals, torpedo 3 speed hub, a bit of pinstriping. I will post the pictures next week when i get the frame from LBS where they did some painting for me.

Oh man, those tires are sick! That's going to be a beautiful ride, when you're finished with her. I can't wait to see pics! With mine, I'm considering having some the components red, which I think will go really well with the light turquoise and chrome. I'll have to consult my wife about the color choice and see what she says.

pedalen.jpg

This is what gave me the idea to go with red components! Looks sick.

Nishiki Sebring 12-speed mixte. Mostly as-found. Lugged chrome-moly frame (check out how the top tubes are attached to the seat tube). Trekking handlebars with camouflage tape (so they don't see me coming). Pletscher rear rack with hand-made aluminum bracket at front. Old-school stem shifters. This is the bike I ride to the library, hardware store, and so forth.
nishiki1.jpg
nishiki2.jpg
nishiki3.jpg

Nishiki Sebring 12-speed mixte. Mostly as-found. Lugged chrome-moly frame (check out how the top tubes are attached to the seat tube). Trekking handlebars with camouflage tape (so they don't see me coming). Pletscher rear rack with hand-made aluminum bracket at front. Old-school stem shifters. This is the bike I ride to the library, hardware store, and so forth.

I definitely wouldn't see you coming :ninja: I think my downtube also connect like yours. It's a really cool design. The bike is definitely sweet.

I've done things with two mixtes, but nothing wild. They're nice riding bikes, but I can't find any old ones in my size and there's a long period where it seems nobody made them until more recently, so I don't have one for myself.

Here's a ~1986 Nishiki Century I fixed up for a friend (Hi-ten steel, so definitely lower end than the Sebring or just older?). Mostly just converted the stem shifters to handlebar and fixed it up.
533654_10151084430013191_903394956_n.jpg

A ~1983 Fuji Grand SE I built for my sister. Again, converted the stem shifters to bars, went from 6 to wide range 8-speed rear cassette and converted to 700c from 27", which meant new rear derailleur, new brakes, and levers on top of the wheels, tires, and fenders. Definitely way more in parts than it's worth, but she's happy with it. Used shellacked string for the chainstay protection and added an aluminum tube between the top tubes to hold the rear brake cable housing straight (OCD couldn't stand how it sat unevenly in between).

10501717_10152342174503191_8358618621403050501_n.jpg

10577034_10152342174498191_5739289358362006175_n.jpg

I love those old school Japanese bikes :happy: I think when I'm in Tokyo next year, I'll go hunt down some Japanese Steel...bikes.

Though, these are usually the bikes I see, when I'm in Tokyo.

16_px450.jpg

They're called Mamachari, which is a mix of two words. Mama, meaning mother and Chari, an informal word for bicycle. Convenient, yes, but not so pretty.

Here's mine being neglected as we speak.
20191018_192149.jpg

Looks kinda blue in the pic. But I always looked at it like an old avocado appliance color.
I'm going to roll with a black fork to give it a little tougher look.

I'm thinkin a fat 26" nobby in the back. Maybe 2.6, 2.7, whatever it takes. And a 700x50 nobby up front, or thereabouts.

Maybe some giant chrome and rust moto bars
20191018_193418.jpg
yeah, that's the ticket

There's more to the story. But I'll have to reveal that in my muscle bike build-off thread.

I bought a Takara mixte frameset today. Will take a picture tomorrow.

Here's mine being neglected as we speak. View attachment 107397
Looks kinda blue in the pic. But I always looked at it like an old avocado appliance color.
I'm going to roll with a black fork to give it a little tougher look.

I'm thinkin a fat 26" nobby in the back. Maybe 2.6, 2.7, whatever it takes. And a 700x50 nobby up front, or thereabouts.

Maybe some giant chrome and rust moto barsView attachment 107398 yeah, that's the ticket

There's more to the story. But I'll have to reveal that in my muscle bike build-off thread.

Looks sick and can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Latest posts

Back