Drag Stripper, or what's left of one

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This has been haunting me literally for YEARS. The guy at the LBS has had this in the back room/boneyard. He knows I fool with muscle bikes and old rusty bikes in general so he asked if I was interested a few years ago when he got it. I always thought these were cool, if a little ugly, but the missing sissy scared me off. I figured I'd never find one, or if I did, it'd be stupid $$$. But just today I saw some pictures of original-looking ones with a conventional sissy, not the one that fits inside the seatstays, and I decided that I have enough junk in the basement to whack together a banana seat and apes and some (slightly) better wheels and make this a rider. I think I even have some better fenders for it. So I dragged it home, bird turds and all. Man, I'm gonna regret this, even if I don't get tetanus from it.

20180814_150243.jpg
20180814_150314.jpg
20180814_150413.jpg
20180814_150431.jpg

For what it's worth, I aired up the tires and rode it up and down the driveway exactly as you see it... it was fairly quiet and tracked straight, and all the bearings seem to be free and working. Looking forward to having a little fun with this.

Groovy score!

It sure is! Very neat save on that one. Those frame caps are available in eBay, they are for cars I think, let me see if I can find the auction with them. They are cheap, like $1.

I tinkered with this all day.

20180815_174904.jpg

The seatpost mounting deal is ugly and temporary till I figure out something better. I HATE these bars, but they were all I had around. I need to knock the rust back on the sprocket so it matches the rest of the bike.

Good times.

Here is the eBay auction I saw for the frame caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-1-1-4-O...NG-END-INSERT-PLUG-1-1-8-NICKEL-/362206107736

This guys doesn't seem to have them any longer, but I'm sure other sellers do.

I will look into them. I don't know if I want to just leave this rusty and ratty.

Latest posts

Back