GT or Dyno or ? Please help ID this BMX bicycle...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
up_dis.png

I know very little of BMX,which will be evident soon. I received this bike in a trade deal . Could anyone tell me what the frame is ? I took pics of the joints/welds and the serial number,hope that helps. It was described as an aluminum GT . The crank is GT,but the stem is Dyno labeled . The frame has no markings,like the GTs I have seen...The big GT at the end of the toptube. I believe it came as raw aluminum because there was decal adhesive everywhere and remnants of a headtube badge/decal.I did a quick search and got lost fast. Any help would be great,Thank You.
IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG
IMG_6940.JPG
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG
IMG_6946.JPG
IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG
IMG_6940.JPG
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG
IMG_6946.JPG

well from what I see in the pic provided it is in fact a gt but the model I am unsure of.
I also believe the 03 in the beginning would make this a 2003 model
I could very well be wrong on the year but I am 100 percent sure it is a gt frame
could be a gt /dyno but im not sure either.

hope that helps
sean

Thanks Sean,I appreciate the help. I was amazed at all the BMX bikes when I started researching it.They started to all look the same.

That is indeed a GT, the triple triangle rear gives it away.
By the way, at that point in time Dyno and GT were the same, (Dual Forces) if you bought a GT it came with some Dyno pieces on it, so the stem may well be original.

16922615922_7a18e044ac_o.jpg

Luke.

Excellent info,thanks guys.After I cleaned the stem up some it is indeed GT/Dyno,Dyno enrgraved on the top and the stem is stamped GT. I really like that decal Luke,I will have to search the web to see if they are offered for sale.

Chainguard tabs and kickstand bracket behind the BB shell almost make me think this is a department store bike of some type. (GT did go mass-market for a short period of time so it very well could be from them) The GT spider and Dyno stem are from an early to mid 1990's bike.

Chainguard tabs and kickstand bracket behind the BB shell almost make me think this is a department store bike of some type. (GT did go mass-market for a short period of time so it very well could be from them) The GT spider and Dyno stem are from an early to mid 1990's bike.
Good point,I never gave that a thought. I am guessing quality BMX bikes don't come with either ?

i don't think its a GT. GT and Dyno stamped all their frames. GT should be stamped in the top tube past the seat post and on the drop outs. or it could be a early 90s prototype. its set up for old school horseshoe brakes and one inch headtube. by 1996 all GT bikes had cantilever brakes. and by the late 90s GT and Dyno had 1 1/8 head tubes. usually when you don't find a stamping is because it is made by a company that makes them for multiple resellers.

i don't think its a GT. GT and Dyno stamped all their frames. GT should be stamped in the top tube past the seat post and on the drop outs. or it could be a early 90s prototype. its set up for old school horseshoe brakes and one inch headtube. by 1996 all GT bikes had cantilever brakes. and by the late 90s GT and Dyno had 1 1/8 head tubes. usually when you don't find a stamping is because it is made by a company that makes them for multiple resellers.
I think your correct, I was assuming there were stamps, but I don't see any. Come to think of it, every next I have has that TA stamped on bottom. I bet that's a next.

Thanks guys. Yes,there are no stamps at all. I thought it may have been a GT because of the crank,but no GT stamp anywhere . It is now a fully functional BMX bike . Nothing special but somebody can use it now. I put some NOS 1980s stuff on it for fun.Bars,Pads,seat. Some local kid should enjoy it.

I have never seen a Dyno or GT with welded on chain guard tabs, or a kick stand log/mount. A department store bike I think "Chaos" or even pacific bike co., tried and produced a GT Power Series knock off. But in alloy I don't know, I think they were steel. There is an Asian market who copies our American frames and some do make the trip to America. The crank don't even look like a Dyno/GT supplied crank. The forks look different also.

GT bought out Dyno back in1985 and had a contract with them for design's, everything was made by GT. Pacific cycle now owns the Dyno name. You sir, definitely own a GT.

He does not have a GT or Dyno, he has a magna department store bike. Magna is an American bicycle brand owned by Dynacraft BSC.

Attachments

• $_86.jpg
    $_86.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 229
The problem with department store bikes is the heat treating or lack of. heat Treating takes a long time in a manufacturing stand point so this cost money to do, money the budget brands would rather not spend. Yes they look strong and all, but they lack heat treating or the heat treating is done half a**!

Latest posts

Back