Raleigh Rat Mailbox Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this 73 Raleigh folder about 2 years ago from the daughter of the original owner and these picks are the bike when I got it. I had a milk crate ziptied to the rear basket and used it to ride two blocks each way to the mailbox. But it rode like crap, the tires are shot and the tubes do not hold air and all the bearings are stuck with old dried grease So I put it on cl and had it sold except it wouldnt unfold. The folding release part was corroded in the frame and it had to be cut out. So now I have this bike nobody wants and a few leftover parts. The initial plan is to tap threads into the frame and make a bracket to hold it together. If that works, its getting new tires, tubes, bars, a different seat, and a better cargo carrier, and who knows what else I might find in the garage. Im rebuilding it with leftover parts and a budget of $0.00. Some neighbors liked it so a rebuilt version should be a hit. I chose not to enter the build off because I need to take my time with no deadline.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 243
806CB0E8-2897-48FB-A5F8-186E69F17E9B.jpeg
Hi, I’ll buy the original tires if you are replacing them :)

They are cracked really bad. Wouldnt recommend them for a rider. When I get them off I will let you know. Im all about keeping things original but since I had to cut the release mechanism apart its no longer 100%. Im still trying to find the right shim/bolt combo to go in there to hold it together solidly before I do anything else

Cool build. Interesting parts. What kind of multi speed hub is on it.

Theres one around me Im considering picking up for the super long stem and seat not sure of the brand. If I get it youre welcome to any of the frame stuff.

Cracked tires? LOL... Ever see the true story of the worlds fastest Indian? That guy was setting land speed records with cracked tires to a point the officials would not him run. He hid the cracks and ran them. So cracked tires at 250mph v's cracked tires at 3mph. :) Ill risk it!! LOL

So I finally found the right bolt and some washers to hold it together firmly. Rode it around the shop today quite a bit. Front tire will be a similar tread blackwall and the rear will be a slick. Just dreading all the individual bearings

Attachments

• 1CC7AC6D-79FD-4492-8C07-9E05FBD90952.jpeg
    1CC7AC6D-79FD-4492-8C07-9E05FBD90952.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 213
Cracked tires? LOL... Ever see the true story of the worlds fastest Indian? That guy was setting land speed records with cracked tires to a point the officials would not him run. He hid the cracks and ran them. So cracked tires at 250mph v's cracked tires at 3mph. :) Ill risk it!! LOL

My entire childhood was spent riding cracked, threadbare tires. If you wore your tire out, your next tire was typically a take-off from something else. The nearest LBS was an hour away, and even if you got yourself there, you couldn't afford a new tire anyway.

Latest posts

Back