RRBBO13 Naked Trekie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some work done with the brake lever/shifter brifters.

These are powder coated so the finish will all have to be filed off. Used some tin snips to chop some of the ends down.

br4.jpg

br5.jpg

Little work to go on those. Once those are done will probably try out the new bars. Like the way they look with the factory stem.

bars6.jpg

Put the original wheel on front to make sure no shavings get near the Flo wheels.

wr7.jpg

Still pretty ugly but I'm sure there's a cool bike in there somewhere...just gotta keep digging..:(

Love the polishing and the shirt reflections

Still working on the brifters. Had the boy take a short vid of the action.

The one I'm sanding in the vid is about ready for wetsanding.

br6.jpg

This one still needs the emory cloth treatment then wetsanded and polished.

br7.jpg

Still a long way to go before we get a shirt reflection. Guess that will have to be the standard...:cool:

Still have hubs, hoops, spokes and derailleurs to strip and polish. When I get to the cranks I want to tear it down and give it the Carbolift treatment....TICK TOCK!

Tedious but rewarding work to get that shirt reflection shine.

Tennis elbow anyone? :21:

Actually Chad, you might want to think about one of these, or one for each arm. I wear one if I'm going to be doing a lot of wrenching, or repetitive motion like swinging a tennis racket, raking leaves for an hour straight, etc. And I didn't start until after I had already created the pain from such activities.

They really work, and keeps the pain almost entirely away!

91N-p5jtulL._SX355_.jpg

Thank you fellas. Put in another hour or 2 on them today. Got them to 600 grit smoothness so almost to some fun part.

Wanted to install the bars after these are done so I can get the cables all trimmed and have all that done and out of the way. (+ do something besides sanding for a minute...:p)

Tennis elbow anyone? :21:

Actually Chad, you might want to think about one of these, or one for each arm.

I don't get that much from this but I could use those for work for sure. This has been giving me the odd knot in the back here and there.

Actually went back out in the garage after I started posting this and got the brifters done! wheeew.....just need a shower and a clean shirt.

br8.jpg

Will get some better pics soon. Hot out there now...like a bowl of soup.

Recently found this reminded me for your bike, it's lookin real good.
20180614_023817.jpg

This is the cleanest pic I could post when I searched for Naked Trekkie.:eek::eek: I am glad your reflection pics at least have shirts.

leonard-nimoy-william-shatner-1.jpg

:21::21::21:..Thank you G-Matt!!

Thank you!! Gonna do the polishing up right on this.

It's a bit of a nail biter isn't it? Not like I can just chuck it into a camp fire...:21:

Couldn't find a lot other than folks mostly saying not to try this but there are a few who have actually done it. These guys call themselves "Weight Weinies"

Not a lot of options for paint removal. There is something called carbo-lift and sanding it all off.

The few threads I found about this said they actually used this...:eek:

View attachment 74311

Always pulling away from the edge and never pushing the edge into the fiber.....gulp..:eek:

Tested a little spot right next to the only chip on the bike. Looks like this chip came from the brake adjuster hitting the frame. Might have to make something to prevent that.

Looks like this will go fast with the blade.

View attachment 74312

Tried it out on the seat post. Removed the first of many Bontrager letter b's that will be getting the ax. Just did a quick 600 grit sand and polish on this. Could use some more sanding.

View attachment 74313

Might keep this B though.

View attachment 74314

If I keep the post...thinking about an alloy aero post...:39:

I used to be a auto detailer in my youth 20 years exp. We would have to remove stickers, pint strip, and stuff like that. There is a simple trick when using a razor blade to do this. The trick is to prep the razor blade before scraping the blade across any painted surface.
Curving the sharp blade using glass. This will curve the edge of the blade enough to keep it from digging into the paint while still being sharp enough to remove stickers.
1.) First hold the razor blade in one hand and place it against the glass surface at a angle, the angle is not important as long as it is an angle and not a 90*.
2.) Holding the angle swipe the blade about 3 to 6 inches to the left. (Step 2 and 3 are done in one motion).
3.) After swiping the blade for 3 to 6 inches, in one continuous motion bring the blade to a 90* and remove from glass.
4.) Repeat about 4 or 5 times and your done, now just remember what side of the blade you just curved.

Now when removing stickers with a razor, always use a soapy water solution for lubrication.
Another trick is to use a hair dryer and heat up the sticker to loosen the adhesive before trying to remove the sticker.

Attachments

• DSCN0654.JPG
    DSCN0654.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN0655.JPG
    DSCN0655.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 180
This is the cleanest pic I could post when I searched for Naked Trekkie.:eek::eek: I am glad your reflection pics at least have shirts.

Oh that's the next reflection pic for sure.

Lots of smiles in the polish work above.

Very cool build. I like the shiny! Coming along![emoji106][emoji106]

Thank you chewy!

The trick is to prep the razor blade before scraping the blade across any painted surface.

Great tip on the blade!

Not a whole lot of progress this week but plenty of work.

Disassembled the wheels and stripped them. You can see the big sticker ball from the back wheel. in the pic. It weighed about 5 grams.

wheel1.jpg

Sheldon Brown says when re-using spokes it's best to not take them out of the hub. Since I have to polish the hub I sorted them using this cardboard brick. Now I can put them in the same positions and hopefully accomplish the same thing.

wheel2.jpg

One of the things I really want for this is the blade spokes to have a mirror finish. The coating on them is most likely black oxide which should sand through easily. Might have to get some new sanding discs for the buffer.

@Falstaff stopped by with the Ratilac today!

fs.jpg

fs2.jpg

fs3.jpg

Got to take it for a ride! He cut off the vid right in the middle of my awesome u-turn...:21:..she handles nice.

How is the nudie beauty coming along?

How is the nudie beauty coming along?
"Paging @Chad T , paging Chad T. Please pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby."

Thanks for checking in fellas! Lost my internet access for a few and haven't gotten a lot done on this. Not sure how much more polishing I'm up for on this right now and am not really feeling like a complete tear-down and re-assembly of this beast.

Good news is I've got her pretty much road worthy after the bar swap which was pretty involved.

Bar wrap went fairly smooth. Finished it off with some carbon fiber wrap. Final product could get some accents using this.

bars9.jpg

bars7.jpg

Bars have a groove in the bottom for the cables. Left just a teensy bit of red cable.

bars8.jpg

Plan for now is to try and get some riding in on this baby. Might go for the stripping but not feeling like stripping and polishing the cranks and deraileurs which is the biggest part that needs finished. Wanted to do some drilling and material removal on the derailleurs too.

Here's how she sits now. Also installed the new seat. (Titanium rails are cool:)).

Starting to feel like my bike. Starting to get the fit dialed in.

wr10.jpg

wr8.jpg

I might have missed a post somewhere. But is the plan still to strip down to bare CF?

If not for BO, then long term?

Latest posts

Back